Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

25 Posts

November 23rd, 2008 08:00

Docking station for Inspiron E1505?

It's that time of year; after spending 4 hours deciding which new laptop to buy for myself, I'm getting around to a question of docking station for my partner in crime.

He has a Dell Inspiron E1505 notebook running Vista (had to edit this post because I had that wrong for crying out loud...). Most of the time, it sits in the corner of the desk untouched, hooked up to a 22" flat panel and keyboard and mouse, etc. He would love a docking station that makes it possible for him to just take his laptop away and bring it back, without having to handle all the different connections every time. Obviously, a docking station of some manner is required.

When I shop on Dell.com, however, I see NOTHING for most Inspiron laptops.

There's a Kensington thing that Dell is calling a hot seller, but one of the reviewers notes that you still have to connect and disconnect the external monitor for some reason. I figure the whole point is that the laptop should only require a single connection (okay, plus power of course) in order to hook it up to all the peripherals.

Anybody have any idea what I should be looking at?

Thanks!

1.6K Posts

November 23rd, 2008 10:00

The best you're going to get is a Kensington or Targus universal port replicator - there are no true docking stations for this model, nor for most other Inspiron/XPS/Studio models of recent vintage - true docks are the province of Latitude and some Precision models, not the consumer-oriented Inspirons.

No Events found!