Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2016 07:00

Dolby problem on my Alienware 14

Hi, there happen to be some problem on my Alienware 14 Mid 2013 model concerning Dolby Home Theatre V4 ( DHT V4). My OS is Windows 7 and now I have upgraded my OS to Windows 10. All sounds work perfectly except for the DHT V4 which i managed to repair but it still did not work. Then I installed the audio driver for Windows 10 in Dell support site for Alienware 14 and it does not have the DHT V4 on it. I have tried the audio driver for Windows 8.1 and all i can find was Dolby Digital Plus which has less function than DHT V4. When I checked in the folder Windows.old in C:\ I managed to find the executable file for DHT V4 but when I clicked on it, it just wont run at all. What can I do to reinstall DHT V4 back to my Alienware 14? 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 24th, 2016 05:00

Hello. If you need your laptop to function the same way it did with Win7, your surest fix is to revert it to Win7. If you have to stay with Win10, you can try to install the Realtek Win7 audio driver that had the feature that is lacking in the Win10 driver. It would have been either the Realtek 6.0.1.7260, or the Realtek 6.0.1.6876. I don't know if both have the feature you want or only one of them, so you might have to try both.

First you should remove all Realtek driver files on the hard drive. 

1. Open the Device Manager
2. Expand the Sound, Video & Game Controllers section.
3. Right click on the Realtek and select to uninstall.
4. Put a check mark in the option to delete the driver software, and then ok.
5. Restart the laptop and go back to the Device Manager and check again for a Realtek driver. Keep uninstalling & restarting until Realtek no longer appears under Sound...Controllers and "High Definition Audio Device" appears in its place. "High Definition Audio Device" is the name of the native driver.

[The reason you might have to go through the process more than once is because the driver files for more than one Realtek driver could be on the hard drive. When a Realtek driver is removed, the next one gets installed if Windows can locate the files. Windows installs its generic driver only after all Realtek files have been removed.]

After you get the native driver in place, then try to install one of the Win7 Realtek drivers using compatibility mode.

1. Download and save the audio driver to your desktop or any convenient location on the hard drive.  [There are two "formats" on the driver's page. Scroll down to the 2nd one, named "Hard Drive" format, and download that one, not the 1st one named "Windows Update Package".]
2. Double click on the new folder to extract (unzip) the driver files.
3. The extractor wizard will create a new folder for the driver files. It will be at "c:\dell\drivers\xxxxxx". Write down the exact location that the wizard creates.
4. If the driver begins to install automatically, halt (cancel) the installation.
5. Browse to the driver files on the hard drive (the location you wrote down).
6. Find the "setup.exe" file.
7. Right click on setup.exe to open the context menu.
8. Select the Properties.
9. Select the Compatibility tab.
10. Check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for"... Win7.

If that driver does not have the feature you want, try the other one. Note that there might be some difficulty in executing the instructions, because Win10 has taken away some of the ability to manage one's computer,

No Events found!