Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 8th, 2017 15:00

Dual display connections

hello,

I have an Inspiron 15 7537 and would like to connect dual displays in an extended desktop environment using the built in connections.  (I do not want to use the laptop display in this scenario.)  I am running Windows 10 latest build.

is there any documentation describing how to accomplish this?

thanks!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 9th, 2017 18:00

It's not a laptop requirement.  DisplayLink is the technology embedded into the USB to DVI/HDMI/VGA adapter you would buy; all you need on the PC is the DisplayLink driver, which can be found (along with more information in general) at DisplayLink.com

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 8th, 2017 17:00

Since the system has only a single HDMI port for video output, you'll need a USB adapter to connect a second monitor (USB to HDMI, displayport, etc -- whatever your monitor supports).

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 8th, 2017 21:00

ejn63 is correct.  Only DisplayPort outputs support driving multiple independent displays from a single output. However, there are some factors to be aware of when using USB-A adapters ("regular USB", as opposed to USB-C adapters) to connect to displays.  Please see the post I marked as a Suggested Answer in this thread for more info: en.community.dell.com/.../20021999

October 9th, 2017 16:00

ok, thanks.  clarification...if I purchased two USB 3.0-to-HDMI adapters, would I be able to configure an Extended Display environment using the two monitors I have available?  I do not want to use the laptop display in this configuration, and the laptop lid will be closed.  also, I do not want to use the built in hdmi connector in this scenario.

How do I know if my laptop supports DisplayLink?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

Yes, DisplayLink supports (I think) 10 displays connected that way, on top of any displays being driven directly by your GPU.

ok, I see.  thanks very much!

No Events found!