Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2012 21:00

E6400 XFR

Everything works on this laptop except the GPS unit I have had it since Jan there is 3
years warranty less two months less now. The movement never took delivery of
the unit I ended up with it now after Dell has replaced the GPS unit twice now
with a tech I am sure it is not the GPS unit and that all 3 units were good

I don’t see it under the ControlPoint Connection Manager Software either I am not
sure if this is only if the GPS unit is part of a wireless mobile card, this is
a standalone unit under the palm rest.

if it is supose to appear there then there has to be away to ad it to the ControlPoint Software 

I have been told all kinds of stories.

First I was told download this driver so I did. That did not work!

I was told I needed the Dell Location and GPS Utility that sounded good so tried
that, I found that tonight found a copy after a week it will not install on a
windows 7 64bit machine, I found the wrong version it is the 32bit version.

I know this because I took it over to a 32bit XP and it installed and said it
could not find the gps unit and it did install the other parts I was told I
needed

I cannot hand install these things and I would not do this on a 64bit as I don’t
know the out come

What I do know I can plug an external GPS in and use one of 3 versions of "MS
Streets & Maps 2005 2008 2011" and they all work. Within a minute

"MS Streets & Maps 2005 2008 2011" finds the Dell GPS on com 7 and will
sit the and never find a satellite

AUGMENTIX_GPS-MINI-CARD

I am now at level 2 level 2 level level 2 I am sorry I am sorry I am very sorry

I just want it to work

I been told the software is on there dell site when it is not. I feel like "I am playing go fish" 

There wireless deparment knows nothing about this unit.

There hardware department said talk to there wireless Department.

Microsoft said go talk to dell it is nto there software tthis I know I have three GPS units two work gues which one does not.

and before  any one says it Yes I was out side with the laptopthe whole time durring testing

February 29th, 2012 12:00

Ok here is the answer the 5720 wireless mobile unit has been removed for security reasons to prevent the dialed numbers from being retrieved and without the mobile card in place the gps unit will not turn on and work because the of ControlPoint Software.

I did not know you could recover said numbers from a wireless mobile unit what software is needed for this

So if you’re having the same issues install a wireless mobile unit and this issue should go away I have been told I will get back to you in a week or so if this is true; This when it is supposed to arrive.

February 29th, 2012 21:00

So I have been hornswoggled by the mighty Dell again, after talking to support today I was told today I would need a sim card for the 5720 wireless mobile with cdma 2000, to order a sim card. so I called the carrier and found out totally differently and they told me it does not need one. In fact I found out this unit has its own GPS unit on it as well.

I was steamed to say the least.

So this leads me to believe DELL has given up on the original internal GPS unit and had me pay for this out of my pocket because they could not get the other to work..

so this is there solution to the problem here with the 5720 wireless mobile card

support.dell.com/.../document

so what about the AUGMENTIX_GPS-MINI-CARD 64N5X GPS module card on com 7 now

Dell Spare Part Number (PN): 64N5X.

Product Family: DELL LATITUDE.

Dell System: Latitude E6400 XFR

This takes the Cake.

Some one here must have the answer to this question.

then the next problem is the spamers know there is a problem with this card so they planted spam trojans out there and flooded the net so you can find anything you find one thing for 50 spams

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

March 2nd, 2012 03:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community.I did a bit of research about the AUGMENTIX_GPS-MINI-CARD on your system.This card does have a compatible driver on support.dell.com for Windows 7 64 bit.It does not come with its own mapping software.Dell recommends Microsoft® Streets & Trips 2007 or later for mapping software.

Assuming while configuring "MS Streets & Maps 2005 2008 2011" GPS card is getting detected on one of the COM Port and is not able to find the satellite and also keeping in mind that the GPS card has already been replaced twice, one thing i would like to consider line of sight antenna on the GPS card.

The GPS receiver has a line of sight antenna. This means the GPS receiver does not work inside of buildings, under heavy cloud coverage, under trees, in an area where there are many large buildings (like the downtown area of a large city). The GPS antenna on the Latitude E6400 XFR is located in the palmrest of the system and can be impeded by the LCD. Ensure the LCD is adjusted to allow for line of sight satellite reception.

The most common problem affecting GPS is line of sight. Move the system outside to an area where there are no clouds, buildings, trees, to improve satellite reception.

Let me know if you have already considered the above points  about the GPS receiver.

Thank You

Roshan.

March 2nd, 2012 23:00

I have already considered this I have figured I it is more then likely the Ballistic Armor that is the problem, the suggested  the vehicle docking station and the goby vehicle antenna extension unit, this is what it was designed to work with they say now on Friday.

It was a clear Sky.

It was in the open

I was not inside a green house

nor was I eating green eggs and ham while doing this whit the green cast iron pan resting on the right side of the palm rest.

LCD was open and on

I wish I could show you a picture

I do have a garman I can use inside it is not like the new ones though ands it takes 8 batteries and a large patch cable to use as well  

March 3rd, 2012 00:00

Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!

Either the site is offline or an unhandled error occurred. We apologize and have logged the error.
 Please try your request again or if you know who your site administrator is let them know too.

or I would show you pictures

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

March 7th, 2012 07:00

Hi,

To check this further please accept my friend request and private message me your system service tag number.

Thanks

Roshan

March 9th, 2012 03:00

I did not expext it to reduce the size on me now you can see it I have remove the computer name and the part of lat and long

Ok the 5270 WWAN Cell card resolved the card I now have two GPS units installed one works constantly on com port 14 that is the 5270 WWAN card

The other GPS is on com 07 that is the AUGMENTIX_GPS-MINI-CARD (PN): 64N5X

Streets and trips see them both

I think DELL owes me a vehicle mounting unit with external antenna, and I don’t care how ugly it is! I drive a truck any ways even though my problem is resolved buy me buying a WWAN card installing it and resolving the issue myself!!!

The other one will not unless you dock it to the vehicle kit provided for police cars and military vehicles with the external antennas as the ballistic armor prevents it from seeing the sky.

You ask Why?

This is why, in the E6420XFR the GPS antenna was in the LCD cover were the cell antenna was now with the E6400 XFX it is just under the palm rest with the GPS unit deaf as a door nail.

Am I mad you better believe it!  

They have yet to fix the Dell site the Documention still take me to the E6420 XFR DOC's not yhe E6400 XFR DOC's.

The insides are very different, Dont be fooled  

As you can see the GPS is working on com port 14, and I did figure out the image issue thanks for no one telling me, for those of you needing to resolve this issues upload them in your profile then link to them from there to here....  I had to read for 30 min to find it, let's hope it does not take you as long to find it. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 9th, 2012 06:00

GPS isn't like wifi.  You will have to be outside with an unobstructed view of the skyline to get a sattelite.  The adapter that has 4G/3G/1XRTTT/GPS may have a seperate antenna for GPS.  Also most GPS are governed by a click thru agreement from the carrier that they can track by GPS.

Because the FCC requires that nearly all wireless devices on a carrier's network have GPS capability, Cell Carriers do not allow non-GPS wireless devices to be activated on the network. Until Activated the GPS will not work.

The Federal Communications Commission requires cell phone manufacturers to include GPS technology in every phone, which the FCC says can aid in locating a cell phone user in an emergency.

The user will be prompted to accept a Privacy Consent Agreement because the device automatically requests GPS satellite information from the network. If the user Does not OPT in then the GPS capability will not work.

March 10th, 2012 01:00

With this unit it is, and it does there is a otption to turn it of and you do not have to active this unit with the carrier to get the GPS to work I though the very same thing and told the engineering department this and they told me they were sure. so I paid for this and this option did work.

Look for your self I dont make tis stuff up, I have better things to do.

The Dell Specs Page Here  

Tech Specs

General

Device Type Wireless cellular modem

Enclosure Type Plug-in card

Built-in Devices GPS

Modem

Interface Type PCI Express Mini Card

Connectivity Technology Wireless

Max Transfer Rate 3.1 Mbps

Cellular Protocol CDMA 2000 1X EV-DO Rev. A, CDMA 2000 1X EV-DO Rev. 0

Expansion / Connectivity

Compatible Slots 1 x PCI Express Mini Card

Miscellaneous

Service Provider Sprint Nextel

Software / System Requirements

OS Required Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2, Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit versions)

68 Posts

March 19th, 2013 11:00

Hello, i just tried to purchase a XFR today and was not able to, has the XFR line been discontinued.

April 19th, 2013 15:00

You can still find a few service personnel that can pull a few strings to get you one through eBay, allot never made it over seas and got turned around and hit the unused refurbishing equipment outlets. They still have all the DOD certificates etc., and will work if you and get the unit re cleared for use your cac card if need be. The GPS units and Cells units are stripped  from them before you get them during refurb.  

Good working unit always working never fails I have had it soaking wet from rain still worked great, when GPS and Cell unit reinstalled unit will tell you are on a dime. Great battery time as well  

No Events found!