Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2014 20:00

E6430 Touch Pad doesn't work

Can someone help me with this, hoping to solve it before I call tech support.  I have a Dell Latitude E6430 and  touch pad has not worked since day one I got it but I always have a mouse plugged into the USB so I never used the Touch pad since testing it on day one.  

I download the Dell Diagnostic tool and ran it under the "Complete Setting" and everything back as passed.  Suggestions?  Help? 

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

March 27th, 2014 12:00

Hi mickey513,

Thanks for your post. There could be a few factors at play here but here’s some troubleshooting steps that should help pin this down for you.

A good starting point would be, while in the BIOS or diagnostics was the touchpad functioning?

If No –

The issue could be hardware – before replacing components I would suggest updating the systems BIOS and checking the palm-rests track pad cable is well seated and not come loose. On the E6430 this can be done by removing the keyboard, the track pad cable can then be seen and reseated. Please see the service manual below for detailed images and instructions.

If Yes –

The issue is likely software – initially updating the system BIOS could help. I would also recommend downloading the latest touchpad driver from the dell support site, listed below. If this does not resolve try starting the system in safe mode / with minimal start up programs enabled – its possible another software installation is interfering with the touchpad and disabling from startup would help rule this out. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Dell Latitude E6430 - Owner's Manual

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_latitude_laptop/latitude-e6430_Owner's%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Latitude E6430 – Driver & Downloads

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/latitude-e6430

Let us know how it goes,

2 Posts

April 1st, 2014 16:00

Hi, Just wanted to update.   I downloaded the Bios update and the Touch pad update from the Dell Driver website for the E6430 but it still does not work.    Also, ran the system start up in safe mode and that too didn't help.  At this time, I don't think it is the software because the touch pad wasn't working the day it was unboxed. 

I am not sure if I am looking at the correct place but when I looked under "control panel" , "device manager",  "Mice and other Pointing Device", there is nothing there, no Touchpad or mouse.  The mouse will be there if I plug it into the USB but no touchpad setting of any kind.

1 Message

December 20th, 2014 14:00

I just bought a latitude e 6430, and I am having problems with the touchpad, hte mouse works, but it's uncomfortable since it keeps skipping or just freeze.

I downloaded the latest driver for it, and still the same, I installed the latest BIOS version (recommended) in diagnostics, which is A.16 and nothing, still have the same problem. 

Device Manager shows that the device is working properly and has no issues, is there any other driver or setting I should change in order for the touch-pad to work properly ?

1 Message

January 30th, 2015 09:00

I would like to know the answer to the question above. Thanks.

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

February 2nd, 2015 12:00

Hi Cocowestlake/Ylg,

Thanks for the posts. As well as the updates already performed I would suggest installing and updating with the Dell command application linked below. This program will automatically scan and update all dell drivers on the system.

Dell Command | Update Application

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=H2CN6&fileId=3423072660&osCode=W764&productCode=latitude-e6430&languageCode=EN&categoryId=SM

If the problem persists, check functionality in the systems BIOS or pre boot diagnostics. The issue could be hardware if the problem still occurs here – before replacing components I would suggest checking the palm-rests track pad cable is well seated and not come loose. On the E6430 this can be done by removing the keyboard, the track pad cable can then be seen and reseated. Please see the service manual below for detailed images and instructions.

Dell Latitude E6430 - Owner's Manual

Thanks,

No Events found!