Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2009 22:00

E6500 - Dell Client System Update - error checking for updates (GUI-U15), crashes when going to system details

I just saw the new Client System Update utility for my E6500, downloaded, and installed it on Win7 x64. I've been talking about Dell creating such a util for years and finally Dell did.

However, it does not work. After I press the Check for updates button, after a bit it comes back with "Check for updates failed" and the GUI-U15 error in the logs. I tried many times, including after a reboot. Also, the app just disappears (probably crashes silently) when I go to Advanced->system details.

Any ideas? I was excited to spread the word around about it but can't as it doesn't work at all.

Artem
http://beerpla.net
http://twitter.com/ArtemR

December 23rd, 2009 06:00

I have the exact same problem on an Optiplex 960 running Windows 7 X64.

1 Message

December 28th, 2009 01:00

I have the same problem. First thought it was because of the proxy but even at home without a proxy it gives the same error. Called Dell about it, their reply was: the software is to new so it's normal there are bugs in it, just wait a few weeks :S. This is on a E6400.

Update: Tried it with the new 1.0.1 version. Same problem!

1 Message

January 6th, 2010 13:00

Yup, same issue on a 64bit Windows 7 Latitude E4200.  ALthough, the first time i got the error, i went into the advance screen, looked but didn't change any settings, went back in and tried it again...it worked, i was able to at least grab a BIOS update.  Now of course, it just repeats the same GUI error over and over, can't trick it a 2nd time.

3 Posts

February 1st, 2010 08:00

Have you gotten any further with this? I just installed this on a 64bit Windows 7 on an E5500 and I get the same error.

Thanks,
Bob

February 3rd, 2010 09:00

Are you guys running the Installer as an administrator when you see this error ?

2 Posts

February 11th, 2010 11:00

Same issue on a E6400 Win7-32 Ultimate.

30 Posts

March 7th, 2010 19:00

Yes, administrator mode.

16 Posts

June 25th, 2010 12:00

Hi,

There was a new version released in May that should address the issue you've seen.  Please let me know if it does not.

12 Posts

December 6th, 2010 00:00

I've been having the same problem on a Latitude 13, Windows 7 (32-bit), running the latest version of Client System Update. On the third try, it was able to find some updates.

I am wondering if it has anything to do with Windows Update running in the background at the same time?

16 Posts

December 8th, 2010 13:00

Hi,

Are you connecting to the internet through a proxy?

12 Posts

December 13th, 2010 23:00

Yes, I would assume, since it is a company network. The first two times it failed, but on third try it managed to download something.

10 Posts

May 17th, 2011 01:00

Same "exact" problem. In matter of fact I cant even install the Latest (April Release) of the Client update. It with failed with some .msi cant be found error. Running in administor mode with no proxy.

10 Posts

May 17th, 2011 01:00

Same "exact" problem. In matter of fact I cant even install the Latest (April Release) of the Client update. It with failed with some .msi cant be found error. Running in administrator mode with no proxy.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 17th, 2011 16:00

Atrix415

I have sent you a friend request.  I would like to get your system information over to our engineering department so that they may find out what is going wrong.  If you are interested please shoot me a private message with the service tag of the system and any information on how the system is configured and I will pass this on to engineering.

Thank You

TB

1 Message

October 28th, 2011 11:00

I have version 1.2.2 of this product running on a Latitude E6420 with Win 7.  I have run it around 30 times and every time except one, I received the GUI-U15 error.  The single instance when it did work I happened to be on my home network and not at work, but I don't have a proxy at work so I have no idea if that has anything to do with it or not.  Are you guys planning on updating the software anytime soon?

No Events found!