Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

September 23rd, 2010 13:00

E6510 eSATA Port Multiplier?

Gentle folk,

Does the SATA chipset used in the Latitude E6510 include Port Multiplier functionality?

If so, is the Intel IRST driver needed to support it?

I recently made the "mistake" of purchasing a BlacX Duet, which allows 2 SATA disks to be used with a single USB or eSATA cable, but both drives can be seen by eSATA only if the host computer's SATA controller includes Port Multiplier functionality. At the moment, my E6510 can see only one of the two drives, implying that Port Multiplier is not working. However, I recently had to do a wipe and reinstall of Win7 to fix a graphics problem and did not install the IRST driver, so I dunno if it's a hardware or driver limitation. Reinstalling Win7 yet again would be painful enough that I'd rather not do it just to find out that it didn't make any difference.

Thanks for whatever help anyone can provide.

s.

67 Posts

September 23rd, 2010 18:00

As best I can tell, the E6510 has an ICH9M-E controller. According to Intel's manual for that chipset family, "port multiplier is not supported by ICH9". See (for example) page 503 of the "Intel® I/O Controller Hub 9 (ICH9) Family Datasheet" http://www.intel.com/assets/pdf/datasheet/316972.pdf

*grump*

s.

November 1st, 2010 07:00

I get the same 'only see 1 drive behavior' with the BlackX Duet.  I am not ready however to rule out the BlackX as the source of the problem as well.  WHen used with a PC Express eSATA with Port Multiplier, the BlackX is really cranky recognizing ANY drives much less 2.

However, that being said, the eSATA port does work on my Studio 17 with Win7 Ultimate AFAICT

No Events found!