Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MB

July 22nd, 2017 07:00

E7470 firmware upgrade on Linux

Hello,

I'm running CentOS 7 on E7470, and a few of the devices aren't working, like smart card reader, fingerprint reader, etc. According to some sources, deploying the latest ControlVault firmware/drivers package may fix some of those.

The native installer is built for Windows, and I was wondering if it'd be possible to do the upgrade by either booting a Windows portable/live version and running the upgrade, or, copying the installer to a USB and doing an upgrade in the way it's done with BIOS upgrades on Linux?

Perhaps LVFS? (Although compiling that on CentOS 7 is not really straight forward)

Regards,
Milos.

July 22nd, 2017 07:00

Here's another (risky?) idea: There's a Windows 10 VM running on top of libvirt/KVM, and I can do USB passthru of Broadcom 5880. Driver isn't applied by default, so I'm tempted to try how wrong might things go if I were to install ControlVault2 firmware and drivers for these devices as they're passed thru to the VM.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

July 22nd, 2017 08:00

Thanks @ejn63, I would assume so too. I'd still love to hear first-hand experiences of someone who actually did this.

Tried something similar 7-8 years ago by booting Fedora or CentOS Live on 9 gen. PowerEdge server and running firmware upgrades through what's now DSU. But I frankly don't remember the outcome (I'm only sure I didn't get the server bricked).

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 22nd, 2017 08:00

Make a bootable Windows flash drive - it's much safer to do that than to update in any virtual mode (assuming that even works).

No Events found!