Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 31st, 2016 08:00

ESC, ~,TAB, CAPS, 1, Q, A, and Z keys working intermittently... (more not than working).

NOW that Dell KNOWS about the above keys not working correctly... does anyone know if they have found a solution yet?? My warranty expires in Nov and I've been dealing with this (real pain in the ***) problem for a good 2-3 months now and my hubby wants me to buy a new laptop (certainly NOT another DELL after THIS problem) instead of trying to fix this Inspiron 11, model # 3147. Well... it's only 10 months old and still under warranty. I REFUSE to keep wasting my money on laptops and want to have this one repaired under warranty.

I ALSO noticed in the last few months, there is an exorbitant amount of heat coming mostly from the left underside bottom, so much so... that I have to use a lap desk in order to keep my lap from burning up. This might be contributing to the problems of the keyboard. I just want to be able to use it. My only fear is... I get it repaired and then it fails again for the same reason in a few months.... then what???

From reading ALL the blogs on THIS problem... I'm loosing confidence in Dell's products.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 31st, 2016 15:00

I'm assuming you have windows 10 on the system.....

At the bottom left of taskbar, right click windows icon, and then click on Mobility Center. You'll see the Function key.

To see function key behavior in BIOS; Power off computer and then power on computer again, quickly start tapping F2 key continuously. You should be in the BIOS. The Function key behavior is listed under the Advanced tab.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

:emotion-2:

Please click on link below, hopefully it will be of help.

Keys on the Keyboard Are Typing Characters Intermittently or Not at All

www.dell.com/.../{doclang}

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

A few more suggestions here....

Please check " Function Key Behavior " in the BIOS or Windows Mobility Center app on the system. If it's set on Function key then I suggest you set it to "Multimedia Key" and restart system.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 31st, 2016 16:00

Lastly.....

Method 1 - How to fix keyboard problems in windows 10 laptops and desktops 

https://youtu.be/IFddlopXrIA

Method 2 - How to fix Keyboard Problems in Windows 10

https://youtu.be/XfNzBP0gdqA

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Check Sticky Keys and Filter keys are turn off. There should be no check mark in the boxes.

Right click windows icon, click on Control Panel, Ease Of Access, 'Change how your keyboard works", and then " Make the keyboard easier to use ". 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

If you received latest update from Microsoft (Anniversary,windows 10) then I suggest you run Keyboard troubleshooting tool on the system. Please type troubleshooting control panel [Cortana] onto the search box, click "View All", and then Keyboard.  

19 Posts

October 14th, 2016 03:00

I'm on my 2nd one. The 1st one worked a few months and then EXACT same keys went out. Since I am disabled I really love the touchscreen (there's a whole other story there) and really depend on this laptop but I'm going to return this one too while it's still under warranty. Have you noticed it gets very hot on the left side under those keys? I have suggested it may be a heat sink problem but what do I know? I spent days on the phone with support watching them download all the drivers, applications, etc. and install them and run diagnostic after diagnostic. I went though several cans of canned air then a USB air blower and bought an expensive electronic brush. This is a real problem with this model! The 2nd one only lasted a few weeks and same keys went out. Repairman came out to replace the keyboard but after talking to me said it would not help and also discovered sd card slot cracked and screws on back were stripped so said to return it. Now the battery won't hold a charge. Your best bet is to return it for repair and keep it under warranty.

1 Message

February 24th, 2017 11:00

I also have this issue, except it didn't appear until after warranty expired.  Went online to Dell/Support and ran the Diagnose tool.  It said it needed to update the BIOS.  DO NOT DO THIS.  Install failed and computer keeps running automatic repair, but comes up with the same failure: Stop Code: ACPI BIOS error.  Dell said they can help me, for $229, or $129, or $89 depending on what they find is the issue.  Online Dell/Support is no help either.  Dell's upgrade turned laptop into a brick and they want me to pay them to fix it.  I declined and will purchase another brand.

No Events found!