Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 25th, 2015 13:00

Erratic Mouse/Touchpad Behavior on Inspiron 15 5447

I've had my laptop for a little over 4 months. I primarily use a wireless mouse with it...and every so often the mouse will take on a mind of its own. I can be typing or even trying to use the mouse and it will start jumping all over the screen on its own...selecting things...even switching/moving windows as if buttons are being pressed as well. At first I thought maybe it was interference with the touchpad...so I've tried both disabling the touchpad when the external mouse is plugged in...and disabling the touchpad altogether and the issue still occurs. So then I thought maybe the mouse is the issue, so at one point when it wents nuts on me, I turned it off and switched over to the touchpad...but the erratic behavior continued. The only thing I can do to fix it is to reboot...and then things are typically okay for several days before the issue starts up again. Any thoughts on what the issue maybe, or troubleshooting tips?

4 Posts

April 10th, 2015 09:00

Ravi can't help with anything, he's busy. Jerking off dell and kissing their *** is a full time job.

2 Posts

August 28th, 2015 16:00

I just encountered this same issue, myself, and what worked for me was going to Device Manager and "uninstalling" the driver under "dell touchpad" (DO NOT select the "delete driver files" box).  The system immediately said it needed to "reboot to complete changes" and upon finishing said reboot the touchpad began working fine again.  This is my first encounter and hopefully my last but no telling...

Inspiron 15-5447 with Windows 7 Pro.

14 Posts

September 2nd, 2015 08:00

I have had my 5547 for about 8 months and the problem continues to persist. I have spoken with customer support several times. Have current drivers, Dell has replaced the touchpad once, tried protective cover on the touchpad and still no luck. For instance right now, despite the fact that tap to click it not turned on it still is working which I don't want it to do. Restart is the only thing that works and then only temporarily.

Clearly Dell isn't going to solve this problem.

10 Posts

September 2nd, 2015 14:00

The only 'solution' I've found to work is not use the touchpad at all. Install the Touch Freeze application as described elsewhere in this thread, manually disable the touchpad through settings, then get yourself a wireless mouse. On the rare occasion when I can't use my mouse, using the touchscreen is way less painful than dealing with the touchpad issues.

58 Posts

September 30th, 2015 20:00

Hardware
Finally resolved this issue by installing myself another touchpad which I ordered from China.  The instructions on how to replace it are shown in detail on youtube.  It has been over a month now and zero issues. I purposely wetted my hands several times to see if it would behave erratically and am happy to report that it works great - finally!!!

October 8th, 2015 01:00

Please provide a link i am fully lost which replacement i should buy and fit. I would like to throw away stock touchpad as soon as possible

58 Posts

October 8th, 2015 07:00

Got the whole upper part with the touchpad as price was so low.  Basically you only need the touch pad (there are 4 screws to attach)  - got mine from China, might had been used, not sure.

Here is how to replace the palmrest touchpad, good luck

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 8th, 2015 11:00

Thank you for your respond!

Let me understand you had problen with touchpad quality so you bought a used palmrest from the same model and you replace it? I thought you bought touchpad from another model ,  better quality. I cant find which touchpad fits on my laptop. The idea it to replace stock touchpad with a better one that fits.

Thank you a lot for your time

1 Message

October 16th, 2015 08:00

Finally - this works like a charm.  Put a phone screen protector on the mousepad.  It works PERFECTLY.  I can't believe I had to do this, after spending $1400 on a recently purchased Dell laptop.  Thank you so much deltadell for this suggestion!

1 Message

October 21st, 2015 12:00

I feel you bro ..A hundred calls to tech support and a replacement ...finally realized the issue is their CHEAP HARDWARE ...still the tech support guys will direct you to UPDATE DRIVERS like its GONNA SOLVE EVERYTHING WRONG WITH THE WORLD ..

58 Posts

October 21st, 2015 18:00

That is correct. Not a software issue.  Some of the touch pads on 5547 are pure garbage and I had one too.  Two solutions,   place a phone screen cover over the touch pad, or buy one from China very cheap and install it yourself (done both and both worked) or if under warranty DEMAND a new touch pad.  No software solution here.  Just a bad touch pad.  Thanks.

1 Message

June 6th, 2016 19:00

THIS IS RIGHT! I've been struggling ever since I got my Inspiron 15 5000 series (IDK the exact model)

I'm a court reporter and I have been handicapped by this mouse pad. I just put a piece of photo laminating sheet on and the mouse pad works at least 75% better.

THANKS

1 Message

August 7th, 2016 13:00

Thank you very, very much for this tip!

Returned first Dell Inspiron 7548 because of touchpad issues, ordered the new one same problem :/ Wasted few hours googling for some more information on the issue and possible solutions, found Your post, put some tape on the touchpad and it worked :)

Now I'm actually considering keeping the laptop (<ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU>it's so pretty ;)

So, Dell put your<ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> together and test your products before shipping them or since this issue affects more than one series,  at least start including screen protectors with affected products!

3 Posts

November 29th, 2016 18:00

The driver update you suggested worked perfect. My touchpad is back in business, thank you!

No Events found!