Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

9 Posts

December 27th, 2008 17:00

Error Code 5300:1028 during the LCD ALS Sensor Test Diagnostics on Studio 15

Synopsis: I recently (less than a month ago) purchased a Studio 15 and ran the Diagnostics available from F12 on boot.  I consistently get Error Code 5300:1028 during the “LCD ALS Sensor Test” and "Msg: BIOS – get inverter type interface function failed".  I'm hoping someone with a Studio 15 will run the same diagnostics and let me know if they get the same error.

Details: I ran the Diagnostics available from F12 on boot, the Extended Diagnostics, and the Custom Diagnostics as part of checking out the new machine.  When I got the error code I called Dell Technical Support.  The technician initially said it was probably my hard drive or memory.  I pointed out those tests ran clean.  When I emphasized the test that failed was in the LCD section the agent said I had a problem with my external monitor.  I pointed out that I hadn't connected an external monitor yet, and the agent said I would probably have a problem when I do, and suggested I ship the laptop back to Dell for testing.  Since then I have connected an external monitor.  I have not noticed any problem with the laptop display or the external monitor.  In trying to research this error I'm assuming that "ALS" refers to an Ambient Light Sensor.  I don't think my laptop even has an Ambient Light Sensor.  I've contacted Dell since to question whether this error is occurring because the laptop doesn't have an Ambient Light Sensor, but all I get in response is the laptop has to be returned to Dell to answer the question.  I feel like I'm getting script responses as opposed to thinking or help.  I would think that the Diagnostics would sense the absence of an ALS and skip the test or that the Diagnostics loaded on my Studio 15 would not have an ALS test if the laptop does not have an ALS, so I'm puzzled at the result.

Request: Would someone with a Studio 15 please run the Custom Diagnostics and let me know what you get on the LCD ALS Sensor Test?  You can run just the LCD tests without the other tests to save time.

Thanks

78 Posts

January 18th, 2009 13:00

hi, i wonder if you got any further with this error.  i also have this exact error with my studio 1537 rec'd last week on 13jan.  i have various problems with crackles and low sound in the audio, dvd drive makes loud noises all through playing a dvd, eject media button staying on, fan always running and loud, undetected fingerprint reader and numerous other issues since out of the box.

this is a replacement studio 15 as i've had problems before but i did think this one has a less bright screen looked a bit grey even but with troubleshooting all the other probs i thought i'd check it later.  while i was running diagnostics on other things this error came up and i've no idea what it means.  if you got any further could you let me know.

thanks

9 Posts

January 18th, 2009 19:00

I've made no significant progress.  You're the only other one with a Studio 15 that I've heard from who ran the diagnostics.  I was hoping a number of people with Studio 15s run their diagnostics as a matter of maintenance.

HELP: If someone runs the diagnostics on a Studio 15 would you please let us know what happens on the LCD ALS Sensor Test?

By the way, my Studio 15 has none of the other symptoms you mention.  The sound is clean (not loud, but not lower than I expect) from the speakers.  The DVD drive and fan don't interfere with listening to a movie.  The eject button is well behaved.  I don't have a finger print reader, so I can't comment on that.  And my screen is plently bright.  I also haven't seen any symptoms that I would associate with the LCD ALS Sensor error reported by the diagnostics.

If I hear from someone on the diagnostics outside of this forum I'll post what I learn.

Good luck with yours.

78 Posts

January 19th, 2009 13:00

hi thanks for getting back.  my system is to be repaired so it's going in for checks etc. it'll be away for 5-8 working days. i've told them all the issues i've got so if they mention lcd als sensor i'll let you know.  glad you've no other issues, hopefully mine will come all fixed.

only problem i have now is they are going to wipe everything and reinstall windows, they say i'll have to install all drivers again.  rather this wasn't required but appears to be needed.  shame on a new machine.

thanks again

6 Posts

January 19th, 2009 22:00

I have a Dell studio Ran Diagnostics I get the 5300-1028 diag code also

9 Posts

January 20th, 2009 18:00

Thanks very much for running the diagnostics and letting us know the results.

It's sounding like this is a diagnostics problem as opposed to a functionality problem.  It's a shame Dell technicians weren't willing to consider that possibility.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 3rd, 2009 01:00

CCDGuy,

I just ran the diagnostic test on my Studio 17 Laptop (1737) and I get the same error message. Anything on this error message, yet?

Rick

9 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 19:00

Rick,

There's been no new information from Dell on this error message.

Everyone who has run the diagnostics and let me know the results has encountered the same error.

I believe it is an error with the diagnostics.

Thanks for letting me know what you got.

Stephen

5 Posts

February 4th, 2009 03:00

Hi All,

I think that 5300:1028 error is repported when diagnostics is testing inverter in LED LCD Panel.

Led panels has no inverter, so it causes the error.

Let me know if it occures with diagnostics on CCFL display panel.

...oh and excuse my english ;)

Bartosz

9 Posts

February 4th, 2009 19:00

Bartosz,

Interesting conjecture, I have the WLED display and the error, which is consistent with your thinking.

As you say, we need to hear from someone with the CCFL display.

HELP: Anyone have a Studio 15 or 17 with the CCFL display that is willing to run the diagnostics?

Thanks,

Stephen

5 Posts

February 4th, 2009 23:00

I will test this issue with CCFL panel and post the results later.

However as a Dell tech support employe I have no info about this error with CCFL

Bartosz

Results: no problem on Studio 1735 with CCFL panel! ALS is located on inverter board so diagnostics reports its error in LED panels with no inverter.

78 Posts

February 6th, 2009 14:00

hi, i have studio 1537 with wuxga with truelife - ccfl and the error code.  what does it mean?

9 Posts

February 6th, 2009 18:00

So, there is a Studio 1537 with CCFL screen that has the error,

and a Studio 1735 with CCFL screen that does not have the error.

I'm not sure what this means either.  Could it be that the Studio 1735 has an Automatic Light Sensor and the Studio 1537 does not have an Automatic Light Sensor?

Bartosh: Would you be willing to let us know if the Studio 1735 you tested has an ALS?

simonscowl: Would you be willing to let us know if your Studio 1537 has an ALS?

Thanks,

Stephen

78 Posts

February 8th, 2009 15:00

sure, but how do i find out as i'm not sure where to look?

5 Posts

February 9th, 2009 01:00

There is no ALS in studio series

This issue is reported only in Studio 1537 and 1737 which do not support ALS test in diagnostics.

New diagnostics will fix that issue.

This is not a hardware failure, this is diagnostics!

9 Posts

February 10th, 2009 19:00

Bartosh,

What you say makes sense to me.  I’ve thought for some time now that the diagnostics may be looking for a non-existent Ambient Light Sensor (simonscowl – sorry to confuse you by erroneously calling it an Automatic Light Sensor) and failing because it does not exist.  I asked the Dell technician that took my trouble ticket if any Studio has an Ambient Light Sensor and he did not know, so thanks Bartosh for confirming it does not!

That leaves only one question that I can think of.

Bartosh – you said that the Studio 1735 with CCFL screen that you tested did not have the error.  Why would the ALS test succeed if the Studio 1735 does not have an Ambient Light Sensor?

Or is it that the Studio 1735 had an older version of the diagnostics that did not include an ALS test?

Thanks

Stephen

No Events found!