Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 21st, 2011 11:00

Error loading Operating System

Sorry new to the forum I hope I am posting my thread in the right section

I have a dell inspiron E1705 laptop that has media direct version 3 functionality

anyway the user by accident meaning to power up the windows OS  button hits the media direct home button instead and hoses up her system. If she turns it off and tries to power up windows she is

getting the error in the subject line. Unfortunately this person has done this before and the person that fixed it prior just reloaded windows. Now I have read up a little on this particular model and I am wondering if the media direct partition is corrupted which is causing this hiccup on the system. I have done diagnostics on the system several time and getting inconsisten hard drive errors and other times it comes up clean. I managed to run the windows OEM disk to reload windows, drivers and updates so far. My question here is if it is not the hard drive that needs to be replaced how do I repair or reformat the media direction parttion to resolve this. what is the course of action to address this ,please advise  also I have the media direct cd

and one more thing when loading the devcie drivers there are three base devices that windows cannot install,  i have been to the dell site for the drivers and cannot locate the correct ones thanks

3.6K Posts

February 21st, 2011 14:00

Was MD installed on the system prior to her hitting the MD button?If it was not thats why you are getting the error.MD disk needs to be the first disk loaded prior to the install of the OS.Insert the MD disk and re-boot,keep tapping the f12 key and select to boot from disk.This will set the MD partition,when finished insert the OS disk,again do the same with the f12 key select boot from disk.Once the OS is installed and you get into the windows screen insert the MD disk again(in windows state) this will install the MD app.

44 Posts

February 21st, 2011 17:00

There was a media direct partition when I reloaded windows, I just tried to test the media home button and I get the error NTLDR is missing

I try loading the media direct cd as to reinstall the media direct partition and still getting ntldr error, this is really frustrating. I am going to try to reinstall windows again, if this media direct cd is bad, how can I reinstall this partition

44 Posts

February 21st, 2011 18:00

it looks like the partitions set are gone, I tried to do repair with the windows OEM disk
I keep getting NTLDR is missing. I just ran a diagnostics and got a hard drive error 2000-0148
Need assistance here, is this hard drive salvagable and how can I rebuild it

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 21st, 2011 19:00

The hard drive has failed - you will need a new 2.5", 9.5 mm (or slimmer) SATA notebook drive.

44 Posts

February 21st, 2011 19:00

I am sorry ,this issue is very frustrating, there is a media direct partition on the machine.

,my problem is this, I can reload windows, updates, and drivers on partition 2 where windows is located. The system is rebuilt the issue is when i hit the media button the system becomes hosed and get a NTLDR is missing. How do I fix this partition 1 where media direct OS is located

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 22nd, 2011 04:00

You don't - not without replacing the hard drive.  Reinstalling or repairing the operating system will not fix the fact that the hard drive is faulty.

Software solutions can't correct a dying hard drive.

44 Posts

February 22nd, 2011 04:00

I was unable to reinstall windows on the existing partition 2 last night, It looked like it was going to work and I see this error this morning windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \system32\hal.dll.
please re-install a copy of the above file. I really need help here
is the hard drive bad, or is the OEM copy of windows no good
ok I will go ahead a replacement hard drive

44 Posts

February 22nd, 2011 05:00

3.6K Posts

February 22nd, 2011 05:00

For $20.00 more you can double the HDD space and get a 7200rpm drive,  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148446 .

No Events found!