Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2009 18:00

Ethernet Drive-PLEASE HELP!

Hi Everyone!

I need some help with my Laptop, its an Inspiron 1521 and runs on Vista, which I don't think matters. My Ethernet drive is not working at all. I know its not my modem or my internet service. I can still get online using wireless at work, but at home my only option is to use a cable and a modem. Any suggestions on how to fix this or what I need to do? Any easy answer is just to switch to wireless at home I know, but I just can't afford that at this time. Thanks so much for any help you can give me. My warranty expired in December of course.

14.4K Posts

February 15th, 2009 18:00

Hello skb3frog and welcome to the Dell forums

Reading your post I am a bit confused. You say at home you can only connect using a cable and modem. Ethernet is the hardwire or cable connecton. So if you are connecting like this then your ethernet is working.

Is what is happening is you cannot connect wirelessly?

66 Posts

February 15th, 2009 19:00

Hello

Please check the device manager and see if you have the drivers installed properly.

Thanks and regards

Compu101

7 Posts

Hi Compu101,

Not to sound like an idiot, because I can do anything with instructions, but can you tell me how I would go about doing that?

Thanks

7 Posts

Hi Davet50,

Sorry to be confusing. I meant to say that I can connect through wireless at work so I know that the internet connection works that way. At home I only have a modem and cable and I can't get that to work anymore. It appears that something is wrong with that connection and I know it has to be with my computer because I tried a friends and the connection (my internet service and the modem) works fine. It used to work on my computer, but I cannot connect at all anymore using an ethernet cable. It just won't work. I guess my ethernet port on the computer is broke and I am not sure how to fix it. Does that make sense I hope?

Thanks for your help

66 Posts

My apologies skb3frog

to go to the device manager, just right click on my computer and then click on properties. There is a tab Hardware, left click on that. Then you will find device manager.

If you have Windows Vista, then click on start and then in the start search type device manager. On the top you will find device manager.

Just check if there any yellow exclamation mark on the device manager or any question mark ?

Will wait for your reply

Thanks

Compu101

7 Posts

February 16th, 2009 10:00

Hey Compu101,

There are 2 yellow exclamation mark things on under Network ADapters. One on "Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #6" and one on "Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2" tried to fix them but can't figure out how. Let me know if you know what to do next! Thank you so so much!

SKB3FROG

14.4K Posts

February 16th, 2009 10:00

Try downloading and installing THIS driver.

Have you recently reloaded your OS or anything?

7 Posts

February 17th, 2009 12:00

Ok I tried to install that driver and still no success. I have not reloaded my operating system. This is crazy. Should I take the computer in somewhere you think??

Thanks

14.4K Posts

February 17th, 2009 13:00

Boot into the bios and check the setting of the NIC make sure that it is enabled in the bios.

Open network connection. on the left side of the window select manage network connections what is listed.

Yes you should get some sort of lights on the the adapter connection points. normally there is two one to id the network and another to indicate teh speed of the connection

7 Posts

February 17th, 2009 13:00

I have my friends computer here and when I pkug hers into the modem a green light on the back of the modem comes on and when I plug mine in that doesn't happen. i think something is wrong with the network adaptor, but I still don't know how to fix it. I put the driver CD that came with my computer and tried to reload the drivers but it didnt help at all either.

7 Posts

February 18th, 2009 12:00

Hi Davet50,

I went into Network Connections and the Local Area Connection is enabled. I think thats what you were talking about. Let me know if its not or if I need to do something else.

THanks,

Skb3frog

No Events found!