Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

R

29 Posts

May 25th, 2006 12:00

ExpressCard vs. PCMCIA - suggestions for sound card upgrade for E1705

hi all,

i think one of the most uninspired decisions taken by a computer manufacturer is Dell's decision to eliminate PCMCIA in favor of ExpressCard way ahead of a maturing industry of the latter. did you guys find any other use than wireless, etc., connectivity  & tv-tuner for this slot? for me, there's no use i can think of that i couldn't have provided from the very beginning through hardware customization (i'm not interested in tv applications). i'm interested in using this laptop for audio applications - it is, after all, an entertainment computer - and found the day it shipped out that it has no PCMCIA slot. it's my fault, i should've read those specs in closer detail, but i just didn't imagine they would just give it up when availability of ExpressCard hardware is basically non-existent. i can only play dvd-audio at full 192kb using the audigy 2zs notebook (PCMCIA), or internal PCI cards, also from creative. the external option is audigy 2nx, but, to make my day even better, it has been discontinued.

i think by means of this decision, Dell endangers its market very much. they cultivate the idea that Dell is the cutting edge of technology, but i think what they're going to manage to cut is their market share. it's such a stupid and unconsidered decision that i cannot believe it got through all levels of decision at Dell.

can you guys think of a solution for me. do you know of adapters PCMCIA-to-ExpressCard, or PCMCIA-to-USB that could help me accommodate the audigy 2zs on this laptop?

thanks a lot,

aR.

2.5K Posts

May 25th, 2006 12:00

I have said this a few times in various discussions on this subject: Dell is not the only brand that has switched to ExpressCard completely in place of PCMCIA.  Search around some more and see that some Dell notebook models sport both a PCMCIA as well as an ExpressCard slot.

As with all new technologies, it takes time for peripherals to fill up the market - so be patient.  Dell would not have been considered as a market leader if it waited for everyone else to bring out products that the customer cannot use of slow adoption:  it's a Catch-22.  It was a similar situation when USB was introduced on a Dell computer - if it wasn't because of Apple adopting USB as the main interface that accelerated its adoption, who knows what the USB landscape would be like today.  Right now, the new computer models are ready for ExpressCard devices as and when they come out.

PS.  If you want a PCMCIA-to-USB solution, see if you can find any:   http://www.google.com/search?q=pcmcia+usb+adapter

Message Edited by esquire on 05-25-200610:55 PM

29 Posts

May 25th, 2006 13:00

five years ago, when my company was just starting, i had to make a decision and choose a large manufacturer to provide us with the hardware we need for computer-aided-design. at the time, i was considering Dell and another large manufacturer (let's call it B), and a certain difference in the lines of products broadness of concept and better customization lead me to choose B (after purchasing quite a few Dell workstations at the beginning). five years down the road we function grounded on a B network that we invested quite a few tens of thousands of dollars in, and always completely content with our decision.

i just decided to give Dell a chance and purchased this system. i regret because i recognize the same limited-angle judgement, where i feel as Dell customer that i'm subject of an experiment. i am not interested in being patient and wait a while, until my system gets obsolete and the money i paid for it will render it way overpriced. i am interested in being offered full functionality at time of purchase. i'm not saying that Dell should have not adopted ExpressCard integration on their mobile lines of computers, but what drove them to take the former (but still very much current and generously satisfied with hardware options) PCMCIA standard out? the argument of limited space for it doesn't hold, as similar models from other manufacturers have both slots within equal or less thickness.

if you could point me out to the other manufacturers that introduced ExpressCard at the expense of eliminating PCMCIA, i would appreciate it.

thank you very much, i do appreciate your time.

if there is a way to pass this message on to Dell customer service and up the ladder, i'd be more than grateful.

(NB: three years after Dell released its white paper concerning the introduction of ExpressCard on their systems, customer service and tech support do not yet know that the audigy 2zs for notebooks does not fit the ExpressCard slot, and that Dell has no available accessory for upgrading the sound on these notebooks.)

best regards,

aR.

2.5K Posts

May 25th, 2006 14:00

I do agree Dell has an apparent problem with their sales teams all over the world in a knowledge gap on its own product, which is why it pays to take the time to check and verify everything that could mean a 'show stopper' for a purchase and take any reply from sales person at face value.

Dell hasn't totally 'introduced ExpressCard at the expense of PCMCIA' - someone recently pointed out the existence of Dell notebooks that support both.

Here are a few brands that have switched to ExpressCard on their new models: 
Apple (MacBook Pro, ExpressCard only; MacBook has neither)
HP (14" display models have ExpressCard only; larger models support both types)
IBM/Lenovo

I'll let you get some exercise done by looking at other brands yourself.
No Events found!