Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 14th, 2017 03:00

External DVD Drive not recognised on New XPS 15 9560

I have tried two brand new external DVD drives on my brand new laptop.  The first was not recognised and the second powered up and down in a continuous few-second loop.

Both drives work perfectly on older laptops and desktops.

I suspect that the problem is that there is not enough power through the usb port to run the drive.  I don't really want to buy a DVD drive with a power plug - or have to use a powered usb hub.  Can anyone recommend a dvd drive that will work with an XPS 15 9560 with a single usb connection, please?

Thank you,

Dave.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 14th, 2017 05:00

Use a dual-tap cable (example below if the drive side is mini-USB -- if it's not you'll need a different cable).

www.monoprice.com/product

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 14th, 2017 07:00

I'm really surprised to see this. Dual-tap cables are typically used by devices that require more than the USB 2.0 standard of 500 mA, and USB 3.0 ports are required by spec to supply at least 900 mA, although even on my previous-gen XPS 15 9530 I've noticed that they all supply more than that because they can all charge an iPad.  Anyhow, Dell themselves make an optical drive that I've used on several systems and that works well.  It's available for $35 on Amazon: www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1

No Events found!