Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 25th, 2014 16:00

External Monitor Problems

I have a Dell Latitude 3440 laptop, i5-4200U at 1.6 GHz processor, that I am trying to connect to two 23" external monitors through a Dell Superspeed USB 3.0 docking station. However, when I try to use all three monitors at once, video refresh rates are slow, there are trailing images as I drag Windows across the screen etc.

Is it the connection through the USB 3.0 docking station slowing down the video feed, or does my computer simply not hav the processing power to support two external monitors efficiently?

Thanks in advance!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 25th, 2014 17:00

The processor should have more than enough power - and the USB 3.0 station has the bandwidth, but asking intel integrated video to drive two high resolution displays plus the internal screen is beyond what it is capable of -- you're pushing a lot of data through a relatively modest GPU.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

With two 23 inch monitors, if the resolution is high enough it could cause the displays to be slow.  Running them at 1900 x 1200 or higher can certainly effect performance. 

You may even wish to test with a single monitor connected directly to the notebook just to make sure that it isn't a problem with the system video, does the display have the same poor performance with just the GPU. Try to isolate the problem and find out if it is the notebook, docking station or something else.  You can also try disabling the LCD panel using just the two external monitors and see if that helps. If possible try connecting another notebook to the docking station, or trying a different docking station.

Are they any other Lati 3440 users out there that have noticed similar issues?  If so what did you try to resolve the problem?

Thanks

TB

2 Posts

Is there anything that can be done or is it simply pure imagination then to have two external monitors along with the internal monitor running at the same time?

1 Message

June 23rd, 2015 16:00

How do you physically connect the docking station to two monitors? Through the two different ports, or do I need to buy some other cable? We cannot get the two displays to extend no matter what. Any help would be greatly appreciate. If can you show a picture of the back of your docking station connected to the monitor, even better.

Thanks

Snehal

No Events found!