Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 29th, 2013 20:00

External microphone not working - Dell Inspiron N7520

After the recent update from Microsoft for my Windows 8. My external microphone is not working. The option for the external microphone is not detected in recording devices. Even though the quality of the internal mic is not so good when using them.

I tried to convert the separate jack for audio and voice into one using an adaptor which has 3 circular rings on the jack. It was also working fine for a few days and now its not working.

Troubleshooting methods I have done so far,

Checked the headset on another computer running Windows 7 and it works perfectly

Performed the Windows recording troubleshooter.

Performed Dell Diagnostics

Unistalled the audio drivers including the files and reinstalled using the driver mentioned for this product

I have submitted a support to the technical team 6 days before and haven't got a reply from them.

My headset is Ozone Attack.

Hoping for a solution soon.

3 Posts

July 29th, 2013 23:00

I have been running Window 8 pro since I got the laptop and it was perfectly working fine until some of my friends mentioned that I couldn't be heard while talking ingame and on Teamspeak3 6 days back.

Also when I unistalled Conexant drivers and used Windows drivers for audio my mic was working perfectly.

249 Posts

July 29th, 2013 23:00

Hi daniel92,

Good day and welcome to the community!

Thanks for reaching out to us. Does it work before with windows 8 prior to the update? We can run a system restore to a point prior to the update. Glad to help.

Thanks and Regards,

249 Posts

July 31st, 2013 22:00

Hi daniel92,

Great observation regarding those drivers. There has been a conflict between drivers. This has been a common issue with 3rd party audio softwares. It is best to use the windows drivers associated with your system. For anything else, just let me know if there's anything else. Glad to help.

Thanks and Regards,

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 1st, 2013 07:00

Great observation regarding those drivers. There has been a conflict between drivers. This has been a common issue with 3rd party audio softwares. It is best to use the windows drivers associated with your system.

Hello Andrew. I think there is some mis-communication here about a "3rd party" audio driver. Daniel92 was using the official Dell-supplied manufacturer's driver, probably the Conexant CX20672-21. (I think his laptop is an Inspiron 15R SE 7520.)

He was saying that he then removed the Conexant driver and let Windows install its native HD audio driver. The Windows native driver is a basic generic driver that lacks some of the features of the manufacturer's driver and is not the "best". In a way, the Windows driver is the "3rd party" one.

I think daniel92 was trying to make the point that the Conexant driver might be defective, because the hardware works okay with the generic driver.

Hope this helps. Daniel92 -- please correct me if I am wrong.

3 Posts

August 1st, 2013 08:00

Yes, Conexant driver on "driver download" page for Inspiron 15R SE 7520, is a bit outdated with the recent update from Microsoft for Windows 8 Pro.

No Events found!