Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MH

October 19th, 2016 07:00

External monitors periodically go blank

Hello,

I'm working with a guy who has a Latitude 5570 with Windows 7 which is on a dock with dual monitors. The problem is increasing in frequency but about twice per day the monitors go blank. One goes black and the other goes green. After he restarts it will work again, until the next time it happens. I asked if it works when undocked but he said it's docked 90% of the time so he wasn't sure.

My first thought was video drivers so we updated them and it hasn't helped. I'm not sure where to go next. Could it be a hardware issue?

October 19th, 2016 10:00

Hi Mr. Hansen,

Thank you for reaching out to Dell Community Forum.

What is the connection used between docking station and monitors?

Have you tried with alternate cables or ports?

Please private message us the service tag of the system along with your email id, so that we can check on the system configuration and the monitor model numbers.

(Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information).

32 Posts

October 19th, 2016 12:00

I forgot to mention, the user did try swapping the dock and there was no change. I thought the cables were unlikely because both monitors go out at the same time and they both come back on when the laptop is restarted.

15 Posts

October 19th, 2016 13:00

WHich model dock are you using?

32 Posts

October 19th, 2016 14:00

I have a similar model here. The label on the bottom says E-Port II and PRO3X

October 20th, 2016 07:00

Hi Mr. Hansen,

Thank you for confirming the steps.

I have responded to you private message.

2 Posts

October 25th, 2016 07:00

We have the exact same issue for a user here with a E5570 and a Dell Euro2 dock.

Workaround we found was to not use displayport to displayport. Using a displayport to DVI cable solved it.

This was on W10 x64 and happened every time you locked the computer and the displayes were blanked after a minute. When you then tapped a key to wake the monitors and return to logon screen, the monitor on displayport would never wake up.

We still have an issue with how long it takes for the PC to turn on the monitors though. Even though PC is not in sleep, it takes up to 20 sec. for it to turn on the monitors again in above case.

15 Posts

October 27th, 2016 11:00

Our issue seems to be with the WD15 , mini display port. it doesnt happen on all of our 7370s, but 40%. Whatever monitor is connected, "flickers" on and off, sometimes to the point you cannot use it. We are in the midst of testing, but have tried pretty much every, with the help of DELL. The latest and I think most promising is to remove our Startech adapters and use cables only.  HDMI> Display and Mini display >Display

2 Posts

October 31st, 2016 04:00

The long delay for turning on the monitors seems to be related to the dual graphics in our case. If i disable the AMD card from the device manager it doesn't take more than 5 seconds to turn on monitors.

With AMD enabled, it was actually longer than 20 seconds that i estimated. It was almost 40 sec.

32 Posts

October 31st, 2016 06:00

I heard back from the user and it sounds like he's working now. Updating the BIOS and chipset seems to have fixed it.

15 Posts

October 31st, 2016 13:00

All of the BIOS and driver updates haven't helped. Been working with DELL support for weeks. It "may" be related to the startech connectors we use. We are using straight cables to see if it alleviates the issue.

No Events found!