Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 16th, 2013 12:00

Extra hdd in inspiron 17r model 5737 dvd caddy issue

I have recently bought a inspiron 17 R ( model 5737 ). And i replaced the hdd with a solid state disk (240 Gb). I now want to replace the dvd drive with the original 1 Tb sata disk in a caddy. the ssd is working fine, but the 1tbyte disk in the caddy does not show in windows ( i'm booting from the ssd). The 1 tbyte disk in the caddy is showing in the BIOS, so the hardware seems fine.

can anyone tell me how to get this working? The bios is up to date and when i put the 1 tb disk back in the main slot it works just fine. 

Thanks,

erwin

2 Posts

June 22nd, 2015 08:00

I actually found a solution to this Problem. Im not exactly sure why it does happen but heres how this idea came to mind.

It obviously has something to do with the hardware not responding to 1tb drives. 

I tried it with a 500gb hdd from my ps3. It did show up, and after formatting it disappeared once i tried to write or copy files on it.

However once i tried plugging in my Laptop, there it was again! It probably has something to do with the way an optical drive is supposed to work. While it did show up i couldn't copy any files onto it and i disappeared again. 

So here is my solution:

I plugged my laptop in again, formatted the drive, this time however i left 40GB un-allocated. 

And that solved the problem! it works regardless of whether the laptop is plugged in or not. I tried running programs from it and it also copies files at a normal rate for HDD. 

I hope this helps guys! :) 

Should i not reply to this then this solution is final to me :)

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 16th, 2013 21:00

Hi Erwin,

I would like to know on which mode the SATA operation in the BIOS (F2 during startup)?

Also, Please reply us with snapshot of the ‘Disk management’ so that I can suggest you further steps.

7 Posts

December 16th, 2013 21:00

Hi Ravi,

the sata mode is ahci, that is the only option available in the Bios. And in disk management there is no sign of the extra disk. Also in device management i can see the ssd, but not the 1tbyte disk in the caddy.

erwin

7 Posts

December 17th, 2013 10:00

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 19th, 2013 08:00

Hi Erwin,

I would suggest you to interchange the SSD hard drive into the optical drive caddy and put back the ITB hard drive to primary SATA port to check if you are able to see it in the disk management screen.

Also, please reply us with the snapshot of the hard drive on optical drive caddy getting detected in the BIOS.

In addition, please try connecting a know good low capacity to the caddy and check if its getting detected.

7 Posts

December 19th, 2013 22:00

Hi Arvi,

i understand you question, but that requires me to reinstall windows...

i have tried the following:

- two different caddy's with two different disks 

- both disk work fine when placed in an usb external disk case

in one occasion ( without changing anything in BIOS ) the 1 tbdisk was visible in windows, and i created a partition of 1 tbyte. When i tried to format the disk there was an error during the format and after that the disk was completely gone in windows.

i now have put the same disk in an external case ( via usb 3.0 ) and reformatted the disk, and used the windows tooling to check the disk. There were no errors, and the disk is fine!

so my conclusion is that there is some sort of hardware issue with de dell laptop and a hdd caddy. I have tried so many different combinations of disks, caddy's and bios settings that i think this just will not work. 

Erwin

7 Posts

December 21st, 2013 02:00

Hi Ravi,

i had allready checked the BIOS. it is the latest versiin. And i've installed windows now three times, allways the same result. Sometimes the disk is visible in windows for a short time. But when i access the disk it disappears. It looks like an error in the hardware.

I am not confident that this will ever work, so if someone reads this thread an has got it working i would like to try again. But i won't reinstall the laptop without any perspective to succes.

erwin

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 21st, 2013 02:00

Hi Erwin,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the system. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

If you still face the same issue after the BIOS update. Then I would suggest you to reinstall the operating system on the SSD.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 24th, 2013 21:00

Hi Erwin,

I would need to check if its hardware or a software issue. I would suggest you to reinstall the OS on the 1TB hard drive and connect the SSD to the optical drive caddy to confirm.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 29th, 2013 08:00

Floor of a problem on Inspiron 3737. BIOS updated to version А.06. Hard drive reset. But it is not defined in the Windows, the BIOS is determined through time. Both disks work, port optical drive working. Changing settings in the BIOS not helps. SSD drive is also not defined in the adapter.

1 Message

January 13th, 2014 23:00

Hello,

I would like to know if this issue has been resolved, because I have upgraded my HDD to 256GB SSD and would very much like to install the 1TB HDD in the dvd bay via hdd caddy on my new 5737 as well.

Thank you in advance

7 Posts

January 13th, 2014 23:00

hi there,

the issue is not resolved. i strongly believe there is an issue in the hardware that makes it impossible to add an extra harddisk in the dvd caddy. i have tried two different caddy's with two different hdd's. and no combination works.

5 Posts

January 24th, 2014 16:00

Hi there,

I had the same problem trying to use the 1TB hdd in the caddy.

The only drive I got to work is a 500GB Seagate drive that works just fine, for some reason.

5 Posts

January 29th, 2014 08:00

The only way it worked for me was to put the SSD in the hdd place and the hdd in the caddy replacing the odd. Be careful tho because for some reason my 1tb hdd that came with the laptop refused to be recognized by bios while placed in the caddy. Only a seagate 500gb was recognized properly.

And no, the ssd in the caddy had the same issue, as long as I had the 1tb in main slot.

The main hdd/sata is not complex to reach, just remove the backplate and there are 4 tiny screws keeping it there.

January 29th, 2014 08:00

Hi There,

I want to upgrade my Inspiron 17 so it boots from SSD. Can I replace the ODD with a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB in a caddy and boot from this SSD drive after installing Windows 8 on it ?

I have read a lot of articles and it seems to me everybody is replacing the HDD, which is pretty complex to reach, with the SSD. But what is the reason behind this ?

Thanks in advance for any answer ! 

No Events found!