Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 21st, 2013 07:00

Extra memory for Dell Precision M4600

Hello People, I need you help one more time, My laptop is a Dell Precision M4600, come without webcam, dvd-rom, 2 x 2gb ram, without fingerprint reader, intel core i5-2540M, the two memory banks in the bottom side is working fine, the two memory banks under the keyboard come covered, I removed this cover and try to use but when put memory in this bank's, the laptop does not work, power on but not show video, the hdd and wifi light is on and battery blinking. I'm doing wrong?

Thank you in advance.
Daniel.

750 Posts

July 21st, 2013 10:00

Hi Daniel,

The memory configuration in Precision M4600 is based on the processor. All 4 memory slots (DIMM) will work if the computer has Intel Core i7 Quad Core or i7 Quad Extreme processors.

Only 2 DIMM slots will work in configurations with Intel Core i5 or i7 Dual Core processors. Since your computer has i5-2540M processor, only the primary DIMM slots (at the bottom) are usable.

Please do revert for any clarifications.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 21st, 2013 07:00

One thing to do is verify that the new memory is properly seated.  If it is, what type of RAM did you install?  Is it high-quality and/or Dell certified -- or some type of Value RAM (which generally is of poor quality)?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 21st, 2013 08:00

If the original RAM doesn't work in those sockets, I'd tend to agree;  if the system is under warranty, have Dell replace the mainboard.

5 Posts

two Samsung and two Kingston, in the primary bank all works in any configuration, I think maybe that secondary bank is damaged or not fully work in this model.

5 Posts

I think so, but in primary bank the memory work fine, I try to use only second bank but no change, led battery is blinking

1 Message

November 19th, 2013 11:00

I am having the same issue on m4600 with i7 using dell snpx830DC/4G. It seems like the module will not fully insert, it does not appear to be, "plugged in," as much as the original snpfyhv1c/4g in the main memory bay.

15 Posts

April 16th, 2016 17:00

Dell m4600 Demension  Laptops with any i5 CPU and the low end i7, are only dual core as opposed to quad core.  The secondary memory dim slots under the keyboard have been disabled by Dell at the factory.

The max supported by Dell on dual core CPUs is 16Gb.  The extra memory Dim slots are permently disabled.

No Events found!