Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2012 02:00

FN + F3 Disable Touchpad does not work. Dell XPS 15-l502x

Hello, when I got my Dell XPS 15-l502x the Disable Touchpad hotkey worked fine, but as I had to format my pc (re-install Windows 7) it didn't work anymore, I installed the newest synaptics driver and QuickSet, but it still didn't work, can anyone help please? :)

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit   6 GB Ram   Intel-Core i7 

Andreas.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

June 23rd, 2012 03:00

Hi Andreas98,

Welcome to the Community,

After reinstalling the Windows did you install the drivers in the correct order? Refer to this link below to find the correct order to reinstall drivers.If the drivers are not installed in the correct order some functions may not work correctly.

support.dell.com/.../document

Have you tried the Touchpad drivers from dell support website? If you haven't uninstall the current Touchpad drivers,(Go to Control Panel,System,Hardware,Device Manager,expand Mice and Pointing Device,right click Touch pad,click uninstall,put check mark on Delete driver software,click OK),Reboot system.

Than reinstall the Touchpad driver from the link below:

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats  

Hope this helps,

Thank You

4 Posts

June 23rd, 2012 06:00

Do you think I have to re-install all of the drivers?

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

June 23rd, 2012 07:00

If you haven't reinstalled the drivers in the correct order, try to reinstall the Windows once again and than install the drivers in the correct order.First install Notebook system Software(found under Utilities),followed by Chipset  and than you can continue with other required drivers.

4 Posts

June 24th, 2012 01:00

Thank you :)

October 9th, 2012 17:00

Hi Roshan,

I have the same problem but slightly different. I formatted my laptop (the same one as Andreas) and installed Windows 8 Professional x64. I did not yet install any driver from the Dell-website. (I did install the GeForce driver, but I got that one from the nVidia website.)

Can you tell me precisely which driver it is I need to install to get this button (Fn + F3) back to work and get the advanced features of my touchpad back (multi-touch)? I only want those two functionalities (and those which come within the same install...) This is quite hard to find out on the driver page (on which I came by filling in my service tagg).

Kind regards and thanks in advance,

Jens V

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

October 10th, 2012 07:00

Hi JensVandenreyt,

After reinstalling Windows it is recommended to reinstall drivers in the correct order as given in this link below :

support.dell.com/.../document

For the Fn+F3 key  and for all the features on the Touchpad to work,you would need to reinstall the Touchpad driver (listed under Input) and QuickSet utility (listed under Application) which is listed in the driver page after you enter the Service tag number. However right now we don't have Windows 8 compatible drivers for your system model.It may get released only after the official release of Windows 8 towards the end of this month.

Thank You

October 10th, 2012 07:00

Thank you, I will try this. If it doesn't work, I'll wait for the Windows 8 drivers.

Greetings

October 23rd, 2012 06:00

Hi there,

when i turned my computer on this morning the touchpad is not working but i have not re installed anything .

It was working fine last night.

Cheers.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

October 27th, 2012 02:00

Hi Elvis Valentine,

Sorry for the delay in response.Most of the Touchpad issues gets resolved by uninstalling and reinstalling Touchpad driver.If you haven't you can try uninstalling and reinstalling the Touchpad driver.

To uninstall go to Control Panel,System,Hardware,Device Manager,expand Mice and Pointing Device,right click Touch pad,click uninstall,put check mark on Delete driver software,click OK),Reboot system.

After rebooting the system reinstall the Touchpad driver from the link below:

www.dell.com/.../xps-l502x

Note:Above driver is for XPS Notebook L502X.

Hope this helps,

Thank You

3 Posts

October 27th, 2012 10:00

Greetings,

I have the same problem (Fn + F3 not working), and I have tried following the instructions by Rioshan. The problem is, there is no Check mark to ''delete driver software'', so when I restart the laptop the drivers are still there. I can't reinstall the drivers  of course then. Could you please help?

Thanks!

PS: This is for an XPS 15- L502X

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

October 30th, 2012 03:00

Hi  CC92,

I would suggest you to check if  Dell Touchpad and Dell QuickSet Utility is listed under Programs and Features (Control Panel) .If its listed uninstall both,reboot the system and  reinstall it using the links below :

Dell QuickSet Utility: www.dell.com/.../xps-l502x

Dell Touchpad: www.dell.com/.../xps-l502x

Note:If both are not listed under Programs and Features go ahead and just install them from the link above.Make sure to reboot the system after each install(after installing Dell QuickSet utility reboot the system before installing Touchpad driver).

Thank You

3 Posts

November 17th, 2012 13:00

I have tried installing them, and they seem to have both installed correctly but they still don't show under the Programs and Features and obviously the touchpad still is enabled (even with the orange light on signifying it is disabled). I really don't know what else to do...

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

November 20th, 2012 00:00

Hi  CC92,

If its getting installed without any error but if its not listed under Programs and Features(or All Programs),than it could be an issue with the Windows.

Try creating a new user account(administrator),log in to the new user account and install both Touchpad driver and Quickset Utility and check if they both appear in All Programs and if you're able to disable Tocuhpad.

If the issue persists then you may need to reinstall Windows Manually(or restore system to factory settings using Dell DataSafe Local, if the recovery drive is still intact).

For help to reinstall Windows refer to these links below:

To restore system with original factory installation that has Dell DataSafe Local: support.dell.com/.../document

To reinstall Windows Manually: support.dell.com/.../document

Let me know if you need further help.

3 Posts

November 21st, 2012 05:00

I have reinstalled the drivers suggested, and the installed driver seems to be called ''Synaptics Pointing Device Driver''. Is this correct?

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

November 21st, 2012 19:00

Yes, it is called the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver.

After installing this driver check if you see Dell Touchpad tab under Mouse properties(Control Panel,Mouse).

Dell Touchpad tab gives you access to various settings for Touchpad.Under Device Select,it has an option to disable Touchpad.

After installing this driver install the Dell QuickSet Utility and than try to use the Fn + F3 key to disable Touchpad.

No Events found!