Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 15th, 2011 14:00

FT232R USB UART Driver for Latitude e6400XFR

I'm reinstalling the OS on my latitude e6400 XFR and I've found every driver except for the device listed as "FT232R USB UART". I've found a driver outside of the Dell website, but would rather have a Dell supported driver.  Does anyone know which driver I should download? 

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 17th, 2011 13:00

This link is a basic restore / reinstall guild on Support.dell.com

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_362048&isLegacy=true

It does give a general idea on what drivers should be installed and the order they should be installed in.

1. Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling the operating system or updating all the computer’s drivers, it is imperative that this software be installed first. Currently, the DSS and NSS are not required for systems with Windows Vista installed. This is located under the System and Configuration Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Adapter Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

5. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

6. Modem - Allows dialup capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

7. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

8. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Mouse & Keyboards Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

1. Other Devices 
    2. Bluetooth® Module
      This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    • Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards
      This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    • PCMCIA/Smartcard controller
      This is located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

So if the device FT232R USB UART is a Dell device then I would suggest making sure that the chipset driver is installed.  If a dial up modem is included with the system I would certianly suggest installing the modem driver.

I am not at all sure that FT232R USB UART is a Dell device though.  If you used some type of USB to serial port adapter or simular device before I suggest checking to see if any drivers are available for it.

TB

August 30th, 2015 06:00

Wow how helpful - NOT!!! still missing driver, on 5404 rugged laptop, how on earth can you make something and then say oh well, find it it may not be Dell's - this is your product!

Ridiculous given the cost of these units.

Cornelius Pieterse

BSc(Hons)Law

17 Posts

May 21st, 2016 08:00

I needed this info too and this pretty much useless reply from tech pretty much sums up Dell customer service ( lack of ) that is when they do actually reply, once the item is sold Dell stops any care at all.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 19th, 2017 18:00

1 Message

November 12th, 2017 09:00

FT232R USB UART device  Dell Latitude E6400 Windows 8.1

No Events found!