Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

23 Posts

November 18th, 2008 08:00

Failed Animated Cursors with Alps Touchpad on Studio 15

Have been looking into the cause of why my mouse cursor animations do not work even though the correct pointer scheme is set.

Dell Studio 1537 running Vista Ultimate with Alps Touchpad 7.2.101.211, A03.

When logging in the mouse pointer shows the animated circle going around and around but during logon the animation will stop and appear to freeze.  You can still move the pointer around but when there should be cursor animation there is not. 

I knew it had to be something loading up causing the problem so I watched carefully and noticed that when the Alps touchpad icon appeared (near to the clock) the cursor animation stopped.

As a result, I changed the 'Normal Select' pointer to an animated cursor, which made it easier to notice the problem straight away. I killed the 'Apoint.exe' process and reapplied the 'pointer shadow' to kick start the animation. Hey presto, the animation kept going and going which is good!  It shows that when Apoint is not loaded the animations play fine.

I reloaded Apoint.exe and the animation was still going BUT once I moved the cursor it stopped (froze).  I could still move around the screen and click on things.

In short, the cause is Apoint or the drivers it executes. Tried looking for updated drivers but I have the most recent which Dell supply. Perhaps the manufacturer has newer versions?

Not sure what else to try. Has anyone know if this issue has been reported to Dell?

I'm guessing here but the Alps software does change the cursor icons when you go to scroll up and down. I wonder if this mechanism is somehow conflicting with Vista's own control of displaying the correct cursor icon?

I've checked and the cursor icons Vista uses when you scroll up and down are not the same so I can only guess the Alps software is overriding this. There is no GUI option to switch this off and the registry settings are not that descriptive.
Any help would be great. Thanks!

2 Posts

December 20th, 2008 09:00

I dont know we have a similar issue or not but, how long does it take for a right click context menu to appear when you right click on a folder?

I have no animation on the cursor which i have not seen before on any other systems. Im inclined to think there is an issue

here is my other post in case someone helps on mine

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19247756/19392839.aspx#19392839 

Thanks

John

1 Message

January 15th, 2009 08:00

I just received my dell studio 1537 a few weeks ago, and I'm having the exact same issue. I uninstalled the driver and used a usb mouse, and the problem went away; this, however, is obviously not a permanent fix. Have you gotten anywhere with this problem? It's not really a huge deal because it doesn't affect usability but it is a bit frustrating that it doesn't look the way it is supposed to.

2 Posts

April 17th, 2009 13:00

Same exact problem here with my Studio 1537.  Killed alpoint.exe, reset the mouse cursor and it works...this is a CONFIRMED PROBLEM.  Does Dell respond in these forums?

8 Posts

May 29th, 2009 14:00

Same problem here as well.  Would like to hear from Dell.  Do they read these forums?   Do they read?

December 29th, 2009 14:00

I've got the same problem with my Inspiron 1545. Had the problem since the day I bought it. Saw this page/thread and stop the driver from loading at startup and everything is running smoothly. Maybe Alps has a newer or better driver. We'll see. Glad someone else had the same problem, I was about to go nuts trying to find  a solution.

December 29th, 2009 16:00

I have the same laptop (which I'm working from now!) and had the same problem when I upgraded to Windows 7 it stopped. I take it that it has something to with the software, but I downloaded the Alps software again as I was having problems with the pad after Windows 7 upgrade. Strange one.

EDIT: Sorry just looked again at the pointer and it is now froze so it has to be the Alps software.

December 30th, 2009 08:00

I think it has something to do with the Alps drivers. I thought my touchpad was defective, but then found this thread and tried the tricks above and I don't have the problem anymore. I think the problem is on Alps' end of the line. I would rather prefer a Synaptics touchpad, though.

I have the same laptop (which I'm working from now!) and had the same problem when I upgraded to Windows 7 it stopped. I take it that it has something to with the software, but I downloaded the Alps software again as I was having problems with the pad after Windows 7 upgrade. Strange one.

EDIT: Sorry just looked again at the pointer and it is now froze so it has to be the Alps software.

1 Message

June 11th, 2010 10:00

I had this same issue on my Inspiron 1564.

Looking in web i read that could be the mousepad driver.

I've looked for the versions avaliable, and discovered i had a fresh released version.

I removed this version and installed an older version, this fixed the problem

No Events found!