Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 5th, 2012 16:00

Fan on all the time

I recently replaced the motherboard, CPU and LCD screen in my Inspiron laptop N5010, it is working perfect but when I turn the laptop on the fan inmediately comes on even though the laptop has been turned off for a while so I don't think is a heat issue, I have heard that some CPU's  are bigger than others so because I replaced it (I had a technitian back East do it)  perhaps with a bigger CPU is causing the fan to come on, I asked the tech about it he says in some laptops it is normal, he did not seem to be worried about it, any suggestions? Should I leave it alone?

1 Rookie

• 

50 Posts

November 7th, 2012 09:00

Do I need to update the BIOS before I run diagnostics? I am running diagnostics now and if I tap the Esc key it aborts the testing, doesn't allow me to select Fan. Thanks

November 6th, 2012 10:00

Hi,

Please update the BIOS to the latest version available. After that you may run the ePSA test on the fan and confirm the functionality. You may follow the below mentioned steps.  

• As soon as you see the DELL logo, tap until you see the one-time boot menu.

• Select Diagnostics.

• The ePSA starts running the quick test without waiting for user input.

• To select a specific device to test, users can tap the Esc key.

• Select Fan and run the test. This will test the fan for three functions  (On/Off, Low speed, High speed)

• If the fan doesn’t respond according to the three functions, this is most likely to be issues with the fan or the fan controller.  

I hope this helps. Please do write back in case you have any other questions.

November 7th, 2012 09:00

Hi,

You may update the BIOS before the test. Please follow the below mentioned steps for the diagnostics.

• Press and hold the Fn key and turn on the system.

• The diagnostics will start and will end with a prompt asking “Do want to run the remaining memory test” select no. If the utility partition is not deleted from the hard drive system will boot to it and you will have to select Test system.

• From the four options available select Custom test and run the test on the fan.

I hope this helps.

1 Rookie

• 

50 Posts

November 7th, 2012 12:00

My BIOS version is A15, is this the most recent? I was able to run the processor fan test; the speed is set on high (RPM @4960), at the end of the test it gives me following info:

Error Code 3700:01 1B

Typical slow fan Rotation in RPM: 2925

Typical Fast Fan Rotation in RPM: 4509

Permissible deviation of fan RPM: 40

How do I change the fan spped? Updating the BIOS?

Thank you

November 8th, 2012 06:00

Hi,

The latest BIOS available for the N5010 is A15. Please try updating the same. In case the BIOS update doesn’t fix the issue this could be because of the motherboard controllers or the fan assembly. You may consider getting it serviced.

1 Rookie

• 

50 Posts

November 8th, 2012 20:00

The motherboard is brand new, is it posible for the fan to be defective but yet be able to function? I had water damage in this laptop, also the CPU has been replaced.

Thanks

Jose E Saenz

1 Rookie

• 

50 Posts

November 9th, 2012 11:00

I tried to install BIOS A15 but I got a message that says that I can't flash the same version, perhaps do I need to install an earlier version of BIOS and then update to A15?

Thanks

No Events found!