Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 23rd, 2015 13:00

Fan runs (nearly) fullspeed ALWAYS - XPS l502x

Hey!

After trying everything i end up really desperate and now count on your help.

Following is my Problem:

I changed my HDD for an SSD two days ago after having my XPS L502x for nearly three years now.

Everything works fine with the SSD, it runs super fast, i installed Windows 8.1 (before that i had 7). So i didn´t clone my old one, just started over with the SSD.

Now my fan (blowing out on the left side) runs always without any breaks at constantly about 90% power. It begins just the moment i start the laptop, so already before the dell-logo and without even booting Windows.

Here is what i already tried without any change of fan activity:

- installing all kinds of drivers, from Dell, for my Nvidia, every single one i found for the parts of my laptop (also removing and installing graphic drivers)

- booting Ubuntu from a DVD

- updating to the newest BIOS, downgrading to an older one, trying a few settings in the BIOS

- using different diagnostic tools from Dell (as well speed fan), all in the end telling me they can´t access the fan

- dis- and enable TRIM

- changing to my old Seagate HDD (to check whether i might have damaged some temperature sensor from the fan when i disassembled the laptop partly to reach the HDD), and here comes something interesting: the first time i changed back to the old HDD the fan worked just well again, totally normal with spikes when getting hot, but most of the time silent. Then i changed the original HDD (suspecting it might have some kind of temperature sensor or other thing to communicate with the fan) for another HDD from HGST, which made the fan go crazy again. Changing back to the SSD it didn´t work as well, but then i tried the original again to look for software and suddenly it didn´t even work with that one anymore...

So it could be, that i damaged somehow something of the fan when changing the hard disk, but i can´t really believe that, having in mind that building in the original hard disk again for the first time made the fan work normally. I´m believing it has to do something with the software, though i have no more ideas what it could be.

My System:

The old HDD is a Seagate 750GB Momentus.

The unknown device is the ST Microelectronics DE351DL Motion Sensor, Windows 8 just doesn´t support the drivers given.

BIOS right now is the A12 (i did the downgrade with A6)

If you need anymore information just let me know.

I´m happy about any advice, guess and help you guys have for me!

Greetings

Lukas

PS: Also, if you don´t understand something because of my English ask me or talk German to me :)

3 Posts

April 29th, 2015 15:00

Well, finally the odyssey has an end... I changed the fan and it works normally again. So it had to be temperature sensor in the fan i guess. With a video in the internet and some care you can do the change as well yourself if you occure to have the same problem. Thanks for your help and i hope someone someday can save some time with my solution :)

2K Posts

April 24th, 2015 09:00

Hi Lukas,

At this point, I suspect the fan has a hardware issue.

Since you have tried everything possible, I do not see any other step that could help fix this. The HDD/SSD does not have any connections with the functionality of the fan. Does the system overheat? Any BSOD's?

You could try cleaning any dust from the fan blades using a can of compressed air/a small vacuum cleaner. Try reseating the fan cables. If it doesn't work, I would suggest a fan replacement.

If the system is under warranty, then please send me the service tag of the system and your contact details through a private conversation. Or you could use twitter - @dellcarespro
 - we can DM through twitter and help you fix the issue.

Keep us updated.

29 Posts

April 24th, 2015 09:00

I'm having the same problem. I updated the bios as a suggestion from the Dell site after I let Dell scan my system. The computer is running much better but from the moment I turn the laptop on the fan runs at high speed. I read somewhere on the net that settings get changed when you upgrade a bios and you need to go into the bios (I think, that's what it was) at start-up and reconfigure that but I'm not sure exactly what had to be done or how to do it, and unfortunately, I didn't bookmark the site and can't find it now. Any suggestions on how to do this? This might be the same problem the other poster had. Thanks for any info.

2K Posts

April 24th, 2015 13:00

Hi Anamandy,

There are no settings in BIOS that can be changed to control the functionality of the fan. However, there are couple of options you could try within windows.

Go to control panel -> power options -> change plan settings -> change advanced power settings -> processor power management -> system cooling policy -> on battery and plugged in -> change to passive and apply. Check this link for more info - http://bit.ly/1OPjs9m 

You could also download and run Speedfan - http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php- however this application does not detect the fans on all system models.

You could also change the optimus settings to auto in nvidia control panel - http://bit.ly/1Gg5CYU- you could do this if you do not use the system for gaming / high end graphical usage.

My suggestion is to clean the air vents and if you are able to open up the system, then clean the fan blades. This ideally might fix the issue.

If the system is under warranty, then please send me the service tag of the system and your contact details through a private conversation. Or you could use twitter - @dellcarespro
 - we can DM through twitter and help you fix the issue.

Keep us updated.

3 Posts

April 28th, 2015 09:00

The system neither overheats (also the air the fan blows out is pretty cold) nor gives any BSoD's. 

I´ll see if it could´ve been dust (i don´t think dust would make the system tell me that it can´t connect to the fan, it would more like block the fan) when i change the fan, i already ordered a new one and will keep you updated.

It is no more under warranty as i already told you, it is now nearly 3 years old.

Thanks for your Help so far

2K Posts

April 29th, 2015 09:00

Hey Lukas,

The replacement fan should work. If it doesn't, then let us know. We shall research on this with the product/service team.

Keep us updated.

2K Posts

April 29th, 2015 15:00

Hey Lukas,

Thank you for the update!

No Events found!