Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 26th, 2015 13:00

Few questions about new computer

I just received a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series 3542 .  If I push the little ridged area on the CD drive, the drawer doesn't slide open.  Nothing will open it.  How do I open it?

I have amnesia so simple tasks confuse.  How do I put a program icon on the desktop? 

I'm trying to delete some pre-installed programs  Where is the listing of everything on this machine?

Lastly, for now, my laptop arrived in a box with cord -- only.  No Windows 10 CD, no sales receipt, no usage guide other than quick start.  Am I expecting too much??

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 26th, 2015 14:00

:emotion-2:

Click on the yellow folder(File Explorer) at the bottom of the page then click " This PC", you should see the DVD/ CD drive. Right click on the drive and look for eject.

Programs are listed under " Programs and Features". You can type programs and features using Cortana or right click the start's button at the bottom left hand corner of the page.

179 Posts

Hm, my list of included items lists Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD I can't check the machine until tomorrow but I can view the drawer and it's listed as included. Or am I misunderstanding what it says?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

The DVD drive is not standard on this system - the base models do not have an optical drive.

If you don't see one listed in your device manager, you don't have the drive at all.

There should be a user manual in PDF or HTML format on the system itself.

Windows recovery discs are not shipped by default - you make a set of recovery media using a 16G or larger flash drive (or a set of DVD +/-R discs if you have the optical drive) using the Dell backup and recovery utility that is preloaded onto the system.  You can also call Dell and have the discs sent to you (no charge under warranty).

The list of installed programs will be in the Programs app on the system.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

:emotion-2:

The battery should be in the battery compartment and in this new computer age, new computers doesn't come with the reinstallation CD. You can make one of your own by using Dell Backup and Recovery, windows "File History" or any other backup utilities for windows 10 of your choice.

www.youtube.com/watch

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 26th, 2015 15:00

On many newer systems, the eject button is marked on the keyboard (often it's the F12 key).

371 Posts

November 27th, 2015 18:00

i got the 3542, and it came with the drive also. did u try what the other guy said about going into file manager and click eject on the drive icon. there is also a little button on it to open the drive. 

and u dont get any cd's / dvd's either. just the quick start guide.

179 Posts

November 28th, 2015 17:00

I push in the indented area in the middle but the door won't open. I did.go to File Explorer and was able to open it, install software, then eject it. I began to create a recovery flash drive but it took so long I cancelled and will try again tomorrow.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

November 29th, 2015 06:00

I began to create a recovery flash drive but it took so long I cancelled and will try again tomorrow.

Just let the recovery media creation do its thing.
As I recall, it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

179 Posts

November 29th, 2015 17:00

A. I found Cortana and have used for other things. B. F12 isn't eject. It is to change screen brightness. I can now www clearly :)
No Events found!