Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2015 11:00

Flimsy Dell XPS 15 9530 black charger plug tip - - not warranted?

The black plug tip on my still in warranty XPS 15 9530 bends!  Is this plug tip not warranted?

The problem is that depending on how the plug tip must be "bent" (not bent in the laptop - - the black plug tip itself needs to be bent just so) for the laptop to charge.

I called Dell support with my Service Tag Number and was told this was CUSTOMER DAMAGE.  I asked for the reference number for my call but both the support representative (Don) and their manager (Nicky) said there was no reference number and I had to buy a new charger.

Really?  This plug is a flimsy design and the laptop is only used in my home office - - it has never gone on a trip and I have over 2 million miles on American Airlines as a consultant.  I have had IBM laptops for years and I have never had this kind of problem.

What really got my goat was when the manager HUNG UP ON ME after telling me that I "should have read the T&Cs and I had 21 days to report a problem".

Really?  I bought this top of the line laptop for its features and quality.  I use it for personal use and designing/programming Android mapping/routing applications for fun at home.

Regards,

Astounded first time Dell customer.

2 Posts

November 14th, 2017 04:00

Woke up one morning and noticed my laptop cable/plug bent on its own. No I didnt drop it or anything. The laptop was on my night stand with the cable plug landing on the edge of the stand (so hanging off the side). Never has this had an impact on any past laptop. The entire end that inserts into the laptop just bent! I think it could be the weight of the plug or something, not sure but this is horrible as the laptop isnt even 2 months old!... I've started searching if this is a common issue on these laptops. This is the first post I've found. THIS appears to be a hardware fault by Dell. i wasn't happy with the customer service during the initial ordering process but enjoyed the laptop up until now. I'm truly looking at NOT EVER recommending or purchasing another Dell and I've been a Dell customer for 20yrs easy.  

No Events found!