Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 1st, 2015 01:00

Free Windows 10 Upgrade for Inspiron N4110 - Is It ready?

This morning I discovered a Windows 10 logo in my notification toolbar, clicking on it shows that I'm now eligible to download Windows 10 for free.

I have a Dell Inspiron n4110, Core i3 processor, 4 GB of RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I mostly use my laptop to record podcasts, and I specifically need access to recording from the stereo mixer on the sound card. 

Is my laptop ready for Windows 10? Is Windows 10 ready to upgrade my laptop with zero issues?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 1st, 2015 03:00

Hi kamnet,

Currently there are NO compatible Windows 10 drivers available for this model however you will need to check if you can install the Windows 8 0r 7 drivers in compatibility mode in Windows 10.

13 Posts

June 1st, 2015 04:00

Do you know if Dell is working on any such driver upgrades either directly or through hardware partners?

108 Posts

June 1st, 2015 05:00

No they won't as users of older hardware will be on their own (especially where laptops are concerned) when it comes to moving to Windows 10 although in a lot of cases Microsoft will provide generic drivers that will be effective if not have all the functionality of manufacturer developed ones. However I have to query the message you have seen as Windows 10 is not even close to being available for public download (I'm using the Technical Preview on my laptop to overcome some pathetic support for my touch screen in Windows 8.1) therefore I have a suspicion you may have some crapware on your machine and if you go where it is pointing bad things may be likely to happen.

13 Posts

June 1st, 2015 07:00

Windows 7 and Windows 8 users started seeing it this weekend after downloading an update:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/31/microsoft-starts-prompting-windows-7-and-windows-8-users-to-reserve-their-free-windows-10-upgrade/

108 Posts

June 1st, 2015 09:00

OK that kind of makes sense but why would you need to 'reserve' anything as its not like there's a limited quantity of upgrades available, anybody with a 'legal' copy of 7/8/8.1 will be able to get the upgrade for free at least within the first year.

Based on what I've seen recently in my TP version I'd say they'll be lucky if the final build is available until the last quarter of this year, there are a significant quantity of bugs that cause upgrades/updates to fail regularly and that's not something even Microsoft would want to release to the masses.

Back to the original query if you review the forums you'll see that if you move away from the OS systems are released with you're pretty much on your own with respect to drivers and updates. The only exceptions for this being if your machine was brought to market during an OS overlap in which case you might get more than one set of drivers.

There's no way Dell or any other manufacturer is going to support all the machines they've made with Windows 7+ on them when people move to 10 and get problems (which they will), you'll be relying on the community at large for help in this case.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 9th, 2015 16:00

This system won't get official 10 support -- even 8.1 isn't supported on it.

www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN128811/EN#Inspiron-Laptop

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 9th, 2015 16:00

Hi kamnet,

As informed by paulladle currently the Windows 10 complete version is not released. You will need to check our Dell support site for Windows 10 drivers once its released.

1 Message

September 6th, 2016 11:00

Is it still true that the I4110 i5 core windows7 is not upgradeable to windows 10? Thanks.

13 Posts

September 6th, 2016 14:00

Eventually Microsoft offered me the Windows 10 update. It installed without a hitch. It even dragged in some new Dell drivers and software packages. 

No Events found!