I picked up a E6400 (x2 qty) from ebay and a product key from another site. Used my 64 bit home premium disc to install win 7. Something went wrong and I changed hard drive to WD 250 install and got endless update problem
Solved! Go to Solution.
I have used Google and Bing to search about this problem. I have tried numerous fixes including MS fix-it tool. I have an error code which will be included in next post.
Thanks in advance
The error code is Windows Update error 0x80070005 (other numbers) Service registration missing or corrupt. This I got out of a Windows Update troubleshooter program. My basic thought is I installed Windows 7 64 bit with a buggy Intel rapid restore driver and a slower hard drive (possibly the original drive for the laptop, and why this is important escapes me)which was install#1. Took out the drive for performance reasons, and installed #2(install #2) on the same system. This install was prompting me to activate and I did activate(successful). The one thing that bothered me was I had two PC's on same network named the same but with different connections ( wifi and Ethernet) later I renamed the laptop. Here is another post with same issues found at superuser.com http://superuser.com/questions/951960/windows-7-sp1-windows-update-stuck-checking-for-updates pondering one last clean install using the techniques gleaned just now.
Theres problems updating Windows 7 SP1 these days. Its best to slipstream these updates into your installation media. See here for more detail:
Otherwise us the WSUS Offline Update instead of Windows Update:
Well after much thought and research about the update problems for Win 7 64 bit, I have temporarily halted the installation(of windows 7 (64). I am doing research online about building a updated ISO and have quite a few obstacles in building one. Here is what I have tried in a brief summary:
a. Download a updated ISO from MS the first two were corrupted somehow. and cost me much time and effort. Windows 7 needs other software to compile and update the ISO (which I have done in the past with XP, so not a big deal) Later I found out Windows 8 can do most of compiling in the OS with command line.
b. 7Zip failed to extract ISOs due to the corruption and costing me even more time lost. I also got a messaage that the ISO did not have a CD/DVD driver as well. I then tried to put it on to USB which failed as well. Only when I used a known good Win 8 ISO did it succeed on USB. I followed a guide online for that one.
c. Installed WIn 8 64 bit and was able to update the OS completely. also doing research on updating all the drivers I had a few ideas. One was that I could get away with just upgrading the OS from Windows 7 64Bit Thus letting the windows7 64 bit drivers carry over to the Windows 8 64 OS, or so I thought. I think windows update snuck the drivers I was seeing into the system (video, some chipset drivers, and other devices as well-however I did update the chipset driver with a win 7 64 bit set from Dell.com.
d. tried to install other software without researching about the preinstalled software like PDF viewer (thats preinstalled) big Face palm and sigh!!!!!!
I have had better days Big Sigh!!!!!!!
Windows 10 TH2 has a free upgrade (If you clean install or upgrade before the 29th) from Windows 7. Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 do not...
Then on the 2nd of August you'll be able to download Windows 10 RS1...
I managed to redownload a windows 7 64 bit ISO and mounted it in windows 10(double clicking it in "this PC" ) I then opened it and copied the files to a named folder. The mounted ISO needs to be ejected to unmount it and proceed with the building. I did not use 7 ZIp to unpack the ISO as it may not work well in windows 10. I then started the NTlite program to integrate the updates that I downloaded with WUD (as you mentioned and countless other tutorials mentioned as well). I also integrated a few drivers as well into the finished ISO (dont forget to check create ISO in the options after building and before completion). I then found the ISO from NTLite and mounted it again to extract the files to a USB drive, formatted and made bootable(NTFS file system). I booted to the USB drive by changing BIOS options and installed windows 7 64 bit. There are some issues with .NET in the event viewer, but that is probably minor fix.
Thanks again for all your assistance with this problem.