Highlighted

Fresh Install-Endless Windows Update problem latitude E6400 laptop

Jump to solution

I picked up a E6400 (x2 qty) from ebay and a product key from another site.  Used my 64 bit home premium disc  to install win 7.  Something went wrong and I changed hard drive to WD 250 install and got endless update problem

0 Kudos
6 Replies

RE: Fresh Install-Endless Windows Update problem latitude E6400 laptop

Jump to solution

I have used Google and Bing to search about this problem.   I have tried numerous fixes including MS fix-it tool.  I have an error code which will be included in next post.  

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

The error code is Windows Update error 0x80070005 (other numbers)   Service registration missing or corrupt. This I got out of a Windows Update troubleshooter program.  My basic thought is I installed Windows 7 64 bit with a buggy Intel rapid restore driver and a slower hard drive (possibly the original drive for the laptop, and why this is important escapes me)which was install#1.  Took out the drive for performance reasons, and installed #2(install #2) on the same system.  This install was prompting me to activate and I did activate(successful).   The one thing that bothered me was I had two PC's on same network named the same but with different connections ( wifi and Ethernet) later I renamed the laptop.  Here is another post with same issues found at superuser.com  http://superuser.com/questions/951960/windows-7-sp1-windows-update-stuck-checking-for-updates   pondering one last clean install using the techniques gleaned just now.  

Thanks all

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
Indium

Jump to solution

Theres problems updating Windows 7 SP1 these days. Its best to slipstream these updates into your installation media. See here for more detail:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/converting-your-dell-windows-reinstallation-dvd-into-a-rei...

Otherwise us the WSUS Offline Update instead of Windows Update:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/wsus-offline-update/

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Well after much thought and research about the update problems for Win 7 64 bit, I have temporarily halted the installation(of windows 7 (64).   I am doing research online about building a updated ISO and have quite a few obstacles in building one.   Here is what I have tried in a brief summary:

a. Download a updated ISO from MS the first two were corrupted somehow.  and cost me much time and effort.  Windows 7 needs other software to compile and update the ISO (which I have done in the past with XP, so not a big deal)  Later I found out Windows 8 can do most of compiling in the OS with command line.

b. 7Zip failed to extract ISOs due to the corruption and costing me even more time lost.  I also got a messaage that the ISO did not have a CD/DVD driver as well. I then tried to put it on to USB which failed as well.  Only when I used a known good Win 8 ISO did it succeed on USB.  I followed a guide online for that one.  

c. Installed WIn 8 64 bit and was able to update the OS completely.  also doing research on updating all the drivers I had a few ideas.  One was that I could get away with just upgrading the OS from Windows 7 64Bit  Thus letting the windows7 64 bit drivers carry over to the Windows 8 64 OS, or so I thought.  I think windows update snuck the drivers I was seeing into the system (video, some chipset drivers, and other devices as well-however I did update the chipset driver with a win 7 64 bit set from Dell.com.

d. tried to install other software without researching about the preinstalled software like PDF viewer (thats preinstalled) big Face palm and sigh!!!!!!

I have had better days Big Sigh!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone.

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
Indium

Jump to solution

Windows 10 TH2 has a free upgrade (If you clean install or upgrade before the 29th) from Windows 7. Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 do not...

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1RkaknDn7v-Ucth4gt0U3BHVSY7oNkWr

Then on the 2nd of August you'll be able to download Windows 10 RS1...

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I managed to redownload a windows 7 64 bit ISO and mounted it in windows 10(double clicking it in "this PC" )  I then opened it and copied the files to a named folder.   The mounted ISO needs to be ejected to unmount it and proceed with the building.   I did not use 7 ZIp to unpack the ISO as it may not work well in windows 10.   I then started the NTlite program to integrate the updates that I downloaded with WUD (as you mentioned and countless other tutorials mentioned as well).   I also integrated a few drivers as well into the finished ISO (dont forget to check create ISO in the options after building and before completion).   I then found the ISO from NTLite and mounted it again to extract the files to a USB drive, formatted and made bootable(NTFS file system).   I booted to the USB drive by changing BIOS options and installed windows 7 64 bit.  There are some issues with .NET in the event viewer, but that is probably minor fix.

Thanks again for all your assistance with this problem.

0 Kudos