Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2009 03:00

Geforce 8800M GTX on XPS M1730: cannot load any driver.

I'm experiencing a lot of problems with this nvidia card...

I'm trying to upload its drivers but there's no way to have them working. In device control panel they are always marked with the yellow triangle. And, of course, they don't work. I've tried to delete every trace of nvidia by using driver sweeper, by uniniztalling physx... and a lot of other stuffs that I may have read inside this forurm.

Actually I had them working again but due to a blackout my pc turned off (the battery is dead... after one year... and I used it really few times... so it is not recognized no more) and when I've restarted it, a restore point was necessary to have system working again but, on the other hand,  it took the system in no-video-driver-mode again.

There's no useful restore point.

I've tried to let windows finding them and I've cancelled this operation.
Both failed.

Anyway, when the drivers were working, I couldn't play anything in fullscreen mode (jerky playback).

Does anyone have any suggestion?

My s/o is Vista.

4.6K Posts

November 22nd, 2009 05:00

Forgive me if you've mentioned them elsewhere in the thread, but which drivers version are you using?

Maybe I'm just lucky (there's a first time for everything :emotion-2:), but I update mine as/when Nvidia email me, to let me know there are new notebook drivers available... even if they're Beta drivers, and I've never had a problem.

Similarly... I've never experienced problems any time I've used the modded drivers provided by the good chaps over on LaptopVideo2Go .

17 Posts

November 22nd, 2009 05:00

Hello TheRealFireblade,

I've tried a lot of drivers.
Original ones and Laptopvideo2go modified.
In this moment I'm running the system with factory setting. I mean: I've restored it. But Video Card doesn't wok.

And if you restore to factory status you should have no problem at all... unless it's a hardware issue.

I'd like to know how much it would costs these things:

new battery (9 cells)
new video card to replace the 8800M GTX
new motherboard (if the problem is related to this instead of VideoCard)

I have no violet lines or other strange visualizations on my screen. And no beep can be heard at startup. Video Test done with Dell diagnostic tool passed without problem. I guess it's not a videocard issue. But something related to motherboard.

November 22nd, 2009 07:00

My Nvidia 8800 GTX SLi passes all the diagnostics to, but it's still broken, I'm not 100% sure what the diagnostics check, but what ever it was it didn't see the fault with my card, and there is definately an issue.

17 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 03:00

Yes, same for me. Some testing screen can't be understood without reference... Technical Assistance didn't provide any link to check Test results so No one can be sure at 100%.

Well, my computer is finally dying.

Yesterday I had it working again. I've just tried to load the same old drivers. Rebooted and it worked.  This morning the problem was there again. And moreover.... A really nice BLUE SCREEN!! A self-rebooting blue screen so I couldn't write down the codes but I guess they are the following:

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFFF8, 0x00000001, 0x81E3A75C, 0x00000000)

I couldn't find anything on the web that could help.

I'm struck beneath this issue. and I can't work. (Btw, I've lost a work commission since I could not work to prepare and submit any draft to this new client. And now I'm getting really angry.) Really nice things after paying 2700 euros for a  laptop....

PS: I've realized that "QuickSet" program (with auto startup by default)  when starts it turns led colors to original setting. But it is really silly stuff.

I'D LIKE TO KNOW WHAT TO DO.

4.6K Posts

November 23rd, 2009 12:00

I'd like to know how much it would costs these things:

new battery (9 cells)
new video card to replace the 8800M GTX
new motherboard (if the problem is related to this instead of VideoCard)

Sadly... whilst a replacement battery should be within the budget of most (here in the UK, they're available from £45), (assuming you can find them for sale in the first place?) a new motherboard won't be cheap, and a replacement 8800M GTX will almost certainly cost an absolute fortune!?

I suspect that what you'll have to pay for a replacement graphics card, could buy you a brand new laptop :emotion-3:

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 22nd, 2010 14:00

Hi BIPO

Did you find a solution for this problem because I have a simillar situation

Dell xps M1730 windows vista SP1

G

17 Posts

June 23rd, 2010 02:00

Hello Grzegorz77,
Actualy there was no solution. I had to buy a new Graphic Card and a new 3d engine (even if it was working fine...). The problem seems to be fixed this way BUT I am not so sure since the card still becomes REALLY REALLY REALLY hot after few minutes. So hot that even the keyboard scalds. The DVI connectors, on the left side, can't be touched at all. I mean you would get harmed: they burns!  There's something wrong for sure. I'm going to call the assistance again on July. Moreover, when I charge a website I've noticed that a line scrolls fast from top to the bottom of the page...

When the assistance changed the devices they cleaned up all the fans (but the're was no need). But My laptop spits outs burning air from its back. A person can't stand in front of the grids. And I am not joking.

Software like "SpeedFan" says that gpu temperature is about 70° (even when I'm simply writing a document... event when it's idled!) but the assistance says that it's ok. I hope they will find a solution when I will call them. I can't even work. I always end up with my wrists all crimsoned!

PS:By the way the screen itself is becoming too bright in the bottom! Next time I'm going to buy a mac.

1 Message

August 8th, 2010 15:00

PS: next days i'll set up a blog to witness all these unfair problems we are experiencing. Then I'll announce it to magazines and, why not, newspaper.
I'll tell you when it will be ready. of course you'll have to sign with your real name and surname and it must be a 'polite' thing. We all feel outraged and hurted but... Just let us complain without offend anyone.

Please tell me where this blog is...I need to sign my name as well.  I've been experiencing problems for months since I updated the driver for this video card.  Computer will not restart among other issues.  I've called Dell as I'm still in warranty...but of course that is for hardware and they want to sell me additional software warranty for a system I paid $4000+ on (including a 3 year warranty).  It's a little over 1 year old.  Anyway, I called Dell they took me through all of the diagnostics...promised to call me back twice and never did...I waited on hold for 28 mins and 45 seconds.  I took computer back to "out of box state" and still had same issues so Dell said to reformat from disks.  I have done this and everything works fine...it restarts like it should every time UNTIL I load the video driver from the DELL disc that was sent with my computer and then I get the restart issue again (black screen with white writing that says it can't start and I should either 1. launch startup repair or 2. start windows normally...neither option works.  So...I started fresh this morning reinstalled media direct, vista, and all drivers except the video driver from DELL disks.  (because that driver did not work before) - tried to download the video driver from DELL website and there is nothing in the download.  So went to Nvidia and downloaded the driver from there...but it's not recognizing the driver.  I have the Nvidia control panel option but when I try to access it says my display isnt attached to an Nvidia GPU.  I think it is reasonable to expect when you purchase a $4000 system that the disks provided or driver downloads should work.  They don't and I don't have a clue how to "attach" my laptop display to the Nvidia GPU.  What the heck does that mean?!  And DELL you have a responsibility to help me resolve this issue.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 9th, 2010 04:00

Hi

From the beginning I had similar issue .System could not recognize drivers for graphic card

and finally one day screen comes black -> so graphic card die.

I called Dell support and in 3 days I got computer back with new graphic card.

In my opinion DELL service work fine when you send them your computer

But if you try to solve some issue by phone is dramatic.  

November 3rd, 2010 18:00

Hi

From the beginning I had similar issue .System could not recognize drivers for graphic card

and finally one day screen comes black -> so graphic card die.

I called Dell support and in 3 days I got computer back with new graphic card.

In my opinion DELL service work fine when you send them your computer

But if you try to solve some issue by phone is dramatic.  

I cannot agree more, That can be very useful.
No Events found!