Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 17th, 2013 23:00

Got error 0x4001100200001005 during recovery process dell inspiron 5521

Hello Dear support,

I bought my Dell inspiron 5521 with Windows 8 OS on board,

then I wanted to upgrade it to Windows 8.1 preview and of course I've created media recovery (USB Flash in my case) with Dell Backup Media

recovery software kindly provided by Dell ,

when I tested Windows 8.1 preview I'd like rolled back to factory's Windows 8 OS and performed following steps:

1. Pluged in the AC Adapter.

2. Connected the USB recovery media to the USB port.

3. Booted from the recovery media.

4. Selected the option to run the program from the Recovery USB flash.

5. I chose clause Factory Recovery (Deletes all data and resets all partitions).

6. The system went ahead to complete the restore of the operating system but failed at 99% with following error error 0x4001100200001005
please contact Dell.

So I tried to boot my OS but couldn't cause it didn't detect as far I understood OS or OS' needed files.

So now I can't even boot my OS.

I read many posts but didn't find any correct solution, hasten to notice I didn't replace HDD and didn't touch Hardware at all.

Could you please take a look at that and advice what have I do to resolve my issue ?

October 18th, 2013 06:00

Hi GelezniyDen,

It seems that the recovery media created has some error and as the windows files were overwritten while trying to restore to factory settings, the system is unable to boot.

You may have to reinstall the operating system.

I will suggest you to run the diagnostics on the system to check for hardware functionality. You may refer to the link http://dell.to/GAxNcY for steps on how to run the diagnostics.

As you will need a CD to reinstall the windows, you may share the system's Service Tag and Owner's/Company's Name with me via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation) and I can check what best can be done.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you further.

October 23rd, 2013 21:00

just as a note as well, if you have access to another computer, you can download an ISO image of win 8, as long as it is a retail version, and it will work in the exact same way as your key is stored in the bios. I have learned personally that Dell simply blames the problem on anything but themselves! Again, good luck!

October 18th, 2013 00:00

Hi GelezniyDen,

I would suggest you to drain the residual power from the laptop and then try restoring the system using the recovery media:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer.
  • Remove the adapter and then the battery.
  • Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and the adapter and then turn on the system.

You may refer to the video provided in the link below for steps on how to restore the system to factory settings using the recovery media.

The link is http://dell.to/15NusBn.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you further.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 18th, 2013 02:00

Hello DELL-KULDEEP M,

performed everything as you suggested but faced with same error again as I've described above.

Could you please provide any another solution ?

And could you please tell me else one thing if I'll install Windows 8 or 8.1 from Microsoft site, will it activate automatically?

As far I know Activation Key is embedded in BIOS. And if yes which version of Windows have I download ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 18th, 2013 07:00

Hello DELL-KULDEEP M ,

I sent needed data to you as you requested.

Please check your incoming messages and  keep me posted.

I checked my hardware and checking completed without errors.

===========

With Best regards,

Denis.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 22nd, 2013 00:00

Hello, any news about my issue ?

October 23rd, 2013 21:00

Hello Gelezniyden, 

i had had the same issue with my dell Inspiron 15r SE 7520, and the following steps solved my issue:

insert retail disk of windows 8 (key not required as yours is stored in the bios)

choose repair my computer

navigate to console

type in DISKPART

followed by LIST DISK

once you know the number of your hard disk type SELECT DISK #

then type CLEAN

this resolved my issue, I have typed this response from my iPhone while the restore completes. Good luck and I hope this works!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 23rd, 2013 22:00

Hello HAWKTHENIGHT,

tell me please did you purchase your laptop with disk of windows 8 into box ?

Cause I have no any disk only USB flash recovery which I've created before failure.

I had windows 8 single language 64-bit Russian version preinstalled on my laptop but

can't download it from Microsoft's site, cause there is no one. 

October 24th, 2013 13:00

If you go to a torrent website like kickass.to and download an ISO, you can use a program such as poweriso to burn the image to a disk. You will not need any cracks or programs for free windows 8, as your windows 8 key is stored in your bios. Just run the cd you make and access the recovery console

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 1st, 2013 03:00

Hello,

issue was resolved by shipping DVD disk with new OS from Dell absolutely for free. I believe this thread can be closed.

I'd to say special thanks to DELL-KULDEEP M for his time and efforts and Hawkthenight for good advice which will work for others as well if they don't want to

wait official assist and all people who assisted me in Dell team in resolving my issue.

==============

With Best Regards,

Denis.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 8th, 2014 05:00

2 Posts

May 8th, 2014 05:00

i am also having same problem.

so please send the link where we can download the win8 retail software.

so that i can reinstall the software in my dell inspirion 5520.

Thanking you

No Events found!