Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2009 11:00

HELP required!! Mark on Inspiron Laptop LCD screen, Dell Support unhelpful

Hi,

Wondering if anyone could shed some light on a problem. A week or so ago a small mark appeared in the middle of the my laptop screen (its a Dell Inspiron, I've had it for about three months). Its not a surface mark (I have tried cleaning but the mark is still there exactly the same) but it appears to be underneath the screen, and doesn't seem to be dead pixels. It hasnt suffered any damage, it literally appeared overnight. I have attached some photos below.

As you can see it is a small but very noticeable mark right in the center. It is very difficult to convey via a photograph but the mark is under the screen and is not a scratch or any sort of surface mark.
I contact Dell Support to see if it was covered by warranty but was told the mark was not big enough to be considered for repair. I was not convinced by the explanation provided by the staff member who didn't really give me any options aside from just to live with it. I work from home and this mark is very distracting (not to mention annoying) and I would have thought been covered by the one year warranty.

Can anyone give me some advice as to whether I should go back to Support and insist on some sort of replacement/repair? Alternatively, has anyone see anything like this below and has ideas on how it can be fixed?

Any ideas or feedback would be much appreciated.

Russell

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 8th, 2009 12:00

Looks big enough to me! That looks like a camera flash reflection. I assume it's not. Contact Dell support again and ask for a supervisor and let them see it. If it is a camera shot with a flash, turn off the flash and take another picture. Take a shot of the whole screen, not just a section, to get an idea of actual size. Support must have thought you were talking about missing pixels. Doesn't look like that to me.

4 Posts

August 8th, 2009 17:00

Thanks for the reply. To clarify, the mark is a brownish spot (at the cross section of the words 'window' and 'for' on the photos. Apologies for the camera flash

4 Posts

August 15th, 2009 01:00

bump

4 Posts

August 15th, 2009 09:00

Do Dell moderators/customer service pop on here then? KNow anyone I can contact?

77 Posts

August 15th, 2009 12:00

Yes they do.

They deleted my message from earlier this morning.

I cannot post the email I received from the Mods, because that would result in my 'immediate banning' of my Dell account, but I didn't see any threat from Dell for responding with the gist of their reason for my post being banned.

It was specifically due my using objectionable language.  Here is my post again, with the suspected violation omitted:

"LOL camera flash. That mark looks plenty big enough to me just looking at its size in relationship to the type and right in the middle of the screen. It would bug the (word omitted) out of me, and I would definitely DOAP to get Dell to fix the 3 month old laptop. You would think someone from Dell would jump into this post by now, after all it is on their website. On another note, why is Dell's website soooo dang slow all the time. Maybe they shoud invest in more or better servers."

Actually I had even replaced two letters in the word with exclamation marks in my original post to sugar coat a word used on TV, in newspapers and even in Church, but my message was erased just the same.  I left in 'dang' above, because I think that is ok......isn't it?

However if you do a search of the forum for this word (it is the opposite of heaven), you will find many instances of this word, even in some posts titles, where the messages remain, and apparently were not banned.

Perhaps my criticism of Dell customer support not responding to your screen problem here, or of their slow servers is the real reason for my banned post. 

Nah, that couldn't be it.

No Events found!