Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 22nd, 2016 16:00

Hard Drive Error Code Failed: WHD20-Z1J

I have received a Hard Drive- WDC WD10JPVT-75A1YT0

Failed: WHD20-Z1J

What does this stress test failure mean?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 24th, 2016 14:00

That system is almost certainly out of warranty -- and you do have a faulty hard drive on your hands.  However, the seven beep code indicates a problem with the CPU or mainboard separate from the bad drive.

The overheating problem is likely what destroyed the hard drive.  If you want to repair the system, you will need a new, 2.5" 9.5 mm or slimmer SATA notebook drive to replace the faulty one.  You may also want to check the way you installed the heatsink - did you replace the thermal pads when you did that?  If not, it could easily be the source of overheating that's causing the system to shut down.

Replacing a hard drive makes sense - if there's more damage than just the drive, it's likely you'll need a mainboard, which will cost enough that you may want to consider a replacement system, particularly given the age of this one.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 22nd, 2016 18:00

It could be a false alarm - or mean your hard drive is faulty.  Run the 32-bit Dell diagnostics (outside of Windows;  press F12 a few times at powerup to get in) on the drive.

Are there any errors starting with 2000- that result?

If you need further assistance, you'll need to provide the system model information (i.e., Inspiron N5110, etc.).

July 24th, 2016 14:00

Howdy! Thank you so much for hearing me out. Here goes: 1. Dell Inspiron 15r 5520 2. Operating on Windows 10 3. Big gamer laptop 4. Laptop turns off randomly 5. Hard Drive OverHeats 6. Laptop gives black screen of death and beeps 7 times. (I shut it off and turn it back on and it works like normally until it shuts off) 7. I am still allowed to save things to drive 8. Last game to download prior to laptop errors: Roblox 9. Even with uninstalling roblox, problems occurred. 10. The laptop works fine until it gets too hot. 11. Replaced the heat sink thinking that was the problem. 12. Got a Error Code while running dell built in diagnostic: 2000-0142 Validation: 81673 Once again thank you so much upon answering this question, hoping for the best.
No Events found!