Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2013 10:00

Hard drive failing? Error messages on PC check up?

Hi

I have a Dell Inspiron N5110.

Have not been experiencing any problems until a Dell PC Check came up with the following hard drive errors:

Targeted Read Test Failed WHD20-JNR

SMART Short Self Test Failed WHD16-EHX

Have gone into Dell diagnostics on Start Up and the error code give then is 2000-0146.

All indications from other posts I have searched for seem to say the hard drive is on the way out, but at present my laptop is running fine. laptop is now out of warranty.

Have seen a couple of posts saying that reseating the hard drive may help?

Is anyone going to give me some good news, or is the hard drive doomed!?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 29th, 2013 11:00

The hard drive is indeed on its way out - make a backup (and a set of recovery discs, if you haven't yet) -- you will need these soon.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 29th, 2013 12:00

If you need a newer/faster system perhaps.  It makes little sense to spend several hundred dollars on a new system if it's just a $50-100 hard drive that needs to be replaced, though.

This system isn't easy to work on - budget at least a couple of hours to replace the drive if you've never dismantled a notebook before:

OK, thought as much. Was just hoping there might be a miracle cure!

Considering the laptop is out of warranty, buying a new one seems as good an option as getting a new hard drive for my current one?

Yes I have looked at a few vids and seems like the hard drive is hidden away! Have never dismantled a notebook before, nor do I have the windows disk to reinstall etc as it came already installed on the laptop when i bought it.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

You need to prepare a Windows restore disc using the Dell Backup and Recovery or Dell DataSafe application on the system.

Systems haven't shipped with Windows restore discs since Microsoft stopped allowing OEMs to do so.

December 7th, 2013 14:00

The laptop still runs OK in safe mode though, but is beginning to freeze and crash more after it loads up normally.

Is it still the hard drive and not a virus if things work ok in safe mode?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 7th, 2013 14:00

It's a hardware error - within a short period of time, you'll find the system will fail to load up.

No Events found!