Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 29th, 2016 23:00

Hardisk Failed Error Code 2000-142

My Dell Inspiron 3521 with win 8.1 fell from table, then I tried to restart but it cannot boot and screen displayed

Checking Media [fail]
Checking Media [fail]

I ran Diagnostics but the error code generated was

Error Code 2000-142

Validation 96672

Msg: Hard Drive 0 - S/N S2WZJ90D341179, Short self test unsuccessful.

I searched forum it was a hard disk problem. Then I used bootable usb stick with UBUNTU on it to check if files could be still accessed. Disabled secure boot and changed UEFI to legacy boot, restarted my machine and again  'Checking Media [Fail]'  msg displayed and then it booted into UBUNTU.

My drives were visible. I had Two Partition 700GB (NTFS) and 260 GB(FAT 32), 260 GB was accessible, i can browse through files but i could not open majority of them especially big ones. The error displayed was internal data stream error.

What is the solution to this problem ? is it necessary to replace hard disk, Is there any way by which i could recover my files?   

Product name: Dell Inspiron 3521

Bios Version: A05

Service Tag: 

Fixed HDD: ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB (1000GB)

Sata ODD  : HL-DT-ST DVD=/-RW GU70N

January 9th, 2017 01:00

Thanks for replying,

The link suggested that data should be recovered as soon as possible after failure, but I removed my hard drive sealed it and packed it so later i could extract data from professional.

But will it cause more loss by delayed recovery??

Currently I am using new 500 GB hard drive with win8.1 90 days trial version.

Should i try recovering myself?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 9th, 2017 03:00

If the drive isn't seen by other systems, it's beyond home recovery - you will need to decide whether it's worth having a data recovery service look at the drive.  Generally they'll issue an estimate of repair costs without charge - but the costs generally start at about $600 and if physical reconstruction is needed, can easily triple that or more.

2 Intern

• 

1.2K Posts

December 30th, 2016 22:00

Hi mardikaryd,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

Please try to reset the hard drive and also if you can flash the BIOS from the BIOS boot menu.

What is operating system installed on this system?

Please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 31st, 2016 04:00

The drive needs to be replaced.  It may be possible to recover some of the files depending on where they are relative to the bad sectors on the disc, but it's not going to be possible to play video files from that drive, which is what it sounds like you tried to do.

January 9th, 2017 00:00

Thanks for replying,

I was using live Ubuntu, Drive previously detected was not detected after reboot.

I used SATA casing for internal drive to check weather drive could be detected on another computer or not, It was not detected.

Is it possible that platter is not damaged only PCB or connector is damaged?

I have very important older project files backup and family, college photos. Most of the files are in OS drive 700GB partition. Is it possible to recover all files including smaller files and images?

Before Incident I have performed complete optimization of both drives which took almost a day( just felt like mentioning if it helps).

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 9th, 2017 01:00

:emotion-2:

Please click on link below, hopefully it will be a help to you.

The link is by one of the forum rock stars - natakuc4):

dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/.../ 

June 11th, 2017 03:00

Have no backups? Bring your disk to somebody who can deal with bad blocks. Leave this to professionals. Pandora Recovery (Disk Drill) is a great utility and one I use frequently for this type of procedure for file recovery. Here is the link the process is pretty straightforward and easy to follow https://www.pandorarecovery.com/hard-drive-data-recovery.html.

No Events found!