Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2016 11:00

Hardware/Non Detection issue

So...

Having a small issue with my laptop. i looked all over the internet and alas i came up with nothing whatsoever.

I ordered my laptop off of microsoft website because they had a deal for students, this was about 3 years ago. 

The other day i was watching a stream on my laptop and it started making clicking noises and froze my computer, i restarted chrome and everything worked fine again.

then about a week later watching another stream, the clicking noises began again only this time it shut my computer off. so i turned it back on and this error came up(No boot device detected. strike F1 to retry boot Strike F2 to run setup utility or F5 to run onboard system diagnostics.

So naturally i clicked retry boot a couple million times but to no avail nothing worked.

So i ran my onboard diagnostics. and it came up with hard drive not connected. so i was like okay my hard drives fried. so i connected a different one... same error message

So now ive come here for solutions, ive never in my life resorted to posting online about a situation. but this is just insane. either the connection from my computer to my hard drive is fried, Both my hard drives are fried or something in the softwares messed up. 

All im asking for is a solution... Thanks.

~Var

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 30th, 2016 15:00

The hard drive is indeed toast -- if you post the model number (i.e., Inspiron N5110, 5521, etc.) someone can recommend a replacement drive.

If you did not prepare a set of recovery media when the system was new, you'll also need to contact Dell to purchase that now, as you'll need it to reload the operating system once you replace the faulty drive.

No Events found!