Hello people!!

LATITUDE E6400

Windows 7/Linux

Core 2 Duo 2.53, 2.54 GHz

RAM 4 gb (can be used 3.53 gb)

500gb disc space

Bios Revision A19

---------------------------

well the issue that i have with this computer integrated video is that the Bios dint let me change configuration from 32 mb video i try to update my Bios but i find an other surprise i cant update if my battery is not charged, thats the other problem that 3 pins system for adapter is a pain but thats an other history, for now i will like if someone know how to modify this value 32mb in video to a high value cause even if i use XP my system video is really bad i do graphic design and those 32 mb in video are just frustrating, maybe not the 1gb but 512 or 258 mb will be better for me, and i read this in the setup documentation (i dont remember see any nVIDIA specification or logo, driver in my sys).

Video controller integrated video: Intel®  GMA 4500 MHD
discrete video: nVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M Video memory
integrated video: up to 1 GB (with 2 GB or more system
® memory—Microsoft® Windows XP)
up to 1.7 GB (with 4 GB or more system memory—Windows Vista®
discrete video: 256 MB dedicated memory
thanks very much for make a space where DELL users can find an answer.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 14th, 2012 03:00

Your system will allocate up to that 1575 M as needed for video. However, it is integrated video -- don't expect miracles if you're trying to run demanding video applications;  the chipset just won't handle them.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 13th, 2012 16:00

The 32M is not the video RAM.  It is a frame buffer used by the Intel video - the value cannot b changed.

Since you have a Core 2 chip (not a core i), you either have Intel video or nVidia - you do not have both.  Since you see the 32M frame buffer, you must have Intel-only video.  The system will allocate video RAM as needed out of the total installed system RAM - there is no discrete video RAM in the system.

Yes, the newer Core i CPUs have video that operates in switching mode with discrete video - the Core 2 CPUs do not.

August 13th, 2012 21:00

ok i upload a pic about chipset , thats what i wanna change sorry about the first explain just look 64 mg must of the Bios let you change the video size my old pentium 4 Bios also let me do it so i can have the 258mb for video and run well, and also my nephew have a model before this one and the 6300 work really greate.

http://i50.tinypic.com/da2dc.jpg

just to know is there any possibility to make my pc use more ram for video to especific programs, cause what i understand is the sys use the video for what is need it and if i have 3.53gb of  usable ram why all my system even when was a clean installation dint work fast, when i open any program the graphic render of the program window take a lot of time, i use my OS with out any effect also my desktop look like windows 98 so i dont see any logical to this.

August 15th, 2012 09:00

well thank you very much for answer me, was really usefull information, i must start to look for a new dell laptop.

No Events found!