Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 7th, 2016 10:00

Help Dead Inspiron 5759 1 week Old !!

OK where to begin.

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 5759 from the DELL Outlet site, which arrived last week. All hunky dory nice machine no problems.

I created a Win 10 rescue USB, then swapped out the HDD for a Samsung EVO 850 250gb and migrated the OS to the new drive.

Been using the machine daily since and was really enjoying the new real estate (17" screen over my old 15.4")

My troubles started 2 days ago. Graphics started breaking up and the machine would freeze.

I downloaded and installed the latest AMD & Intel drivers and updated the BIOS hoping to solve the issue.

It seemed to work, but would still freeze occasionally.

Today though after several attempts to boot I now have a bigger issue. My week old laptop is now refusing to enter the BIOS or boot. I swapped the drive back hoping to reinstall Win 10 but now I can't even do that.

The laptop is not even entering the BIOS, no DELL logo or anything, the only sign of life is the power LED. I have four white flashes followed by two orange and the cycle repeats.

I contacted support by chat and apparently because I swapped the drive out I invalidated my warranty !!

I then phoned the "Out Of Warranty" department as requested. Spent 5 mins on the phone to the guy who said "Because there is no physical damage to my laptop it should be still covered by the warranty", he then said he would transfer me to the right department. 30 mins later I decided to hang up and try here.

Please could someone from DELL contact me and tell me what my options are with my 1 week old laptop that won't enter the BIOS let alone boot !!

Thanks

39 Posts

April 28th, 2016 01:00

OK latest update.  I managed to get the machine to boot, reinstalled Win 10 and then ran a diagnostics on it from a rescue USB. The diagnostics gave memory faults and after submitting the info to Dell they sent me out a new stick of RAM.

I swapped out one of the RAM for  the new one and the machine refused to boot again, I changed the RAM over (I have two 4gb sticks in it) and still no joy in short whatever mix of RAM I used the machine would not boot. All I got was a white flashing LED and then Orange repeating.

I went back on chat and was on for an hour with a DELL rep, she had me repeat the RAM swaps which I did with the same results. I'm convinced it's a faulty motherboard.

To cut a long story short, the laptop has been returned and is being repaired under warranty, I could have had a replacement, but because I got it from the Outlet site it would have taken longer to get.

One thing that has upset me a little with this episode, I changed my HDD for an SSD and was told I had invalidated the warranty, then DELL send me out new RAM and expect me to change it myself ?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 7th, 2016 16:00

Put the hard drive back into the system, call Dell and see if they can  quickly solve the problem.  If the cannot,you're within your 21 day return period - ask for a replacement system.

39 Posts

April 8th, 2016 05:00

Have I posted this in the right place ? Was hoping I may have had a response by now.

39 Posts

April 11th, 2016 00:00

Still no response from DELL to this..

Ok I don't really want to spend hours on the phone, is chat my best option ?

5.2K Posts

April 11th, 2016 08:00

Are you going to follow ejn63's suggestion? It is what you need to do. This is not Dell, but the Dell forums monitored by volunteers. Dell service reps may or may not see the posts here. Use the Chat line for best results.

39 Posts

April 11th, 2016 09:00

Hi,  thanks for the response, if you read my original post I actually state that the original drive is back in. I was intending to reinstall the OS and try it, but because it's not even entering the BIOS, I'm stuck.....

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 11th, 2016 11:00

If the system is back with the original drive and still won't boot, CALL (do not email, or chat) and ask for a replacement system.  There is no sense troubleshooting a brand-new system that won't boot.

No Events found!