Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2009 03:00

Help! My new Dell Studio XPS 13 Laptop keeps on freezing up!

Hi Everyone!

I'm not sure if this topic has been covered before, I tried doing a search and couldn't find anything on it so that's why I started my own thread. I recently just purchased a Dell Studio XPS 13 laptop and just got it a little over a week ago. From the first day I got it, it froze up on me while installing firefox. I didn't think much of it so I just powered down by pressing the power button. Then a few days after that while trying to install the lojack for the computer it froze up again. I powered down and then before it even loaded completely on start up it froze again so again i powerd down. This happened 6 times over and over again and there were times when trying to boot back up the screen would just stay black and not load up at all. I finally talked to a dell tech support guy and he had me restore my laptop to factory. It didn't freeze up again after that for a couple days and then it started to do it again. Has anyone else have this problem with this particular laptop? Any suggestions on what it is or what I can do? Or do you guys think I have a defective laptop and should just exchange for another one? Help!

11 Posts

December 27th, 2009 18:00

I've posted on another thread here what I believe is the answer to many if not all these problems that folks have had with their M1340's freezing. Studio XPS 13 laptops are beautiful but this freezing problem is really horrible and Dell's inability to properly troubleshoot is really inexcusible. Go over here to check it my step by step with the help of others on the Internet that found the problem before I did -- I give them full credit:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19308762/19618450.aspx#19618450

29 Posts

December 28th, 2009 08:00

Your experiences are not the norm. All the driver hacks and so forth that are being recommended will just make the problem worse. A system board replacement will resolve the issue. My system not only doesn't lock up any longer, it runs much cooler. Some have reported it took a couple system board replacements to finally get one that works, so keep at it. I'm guessing they may have run through whatever bad batch was out there however, so you'll probably get a good one on the first try.

December 29th, 2009 09:00

Hi,

I'm Onin from the Philippines.
I thought sharing my experience with freezing StudioXPS 1340 might be of help to some of you guys.
I bought my laptop at BestBuy when I was in the US in February early this year.

Original System specs:

BIOS version A04
Vista Home Premium SP2 64-Bit
Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4Ghz
4GB DDR3 RAM
nVidia GeForce 9400M G
Seagate ST9320421ASG 320GB HDD
TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-D633A
Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Mini-card
Dell 1515 Wireless-N adapter
Ricoh card Reader
ITECIR Infrared Receiver
IDT High def audio

The first time I booted up the laptop it froze right away.
Later after that there were times when the multimedia hotkeys would not respond.
It's frequent when plugged into the mains power while charging, but not when it's just on battery.
I tried running system mechanic and it showed that it was the HDD that's faulty. So I replaced the 320GB with one
from my portable Seagate FreeAgent Go (500GB). But the problem was still there and found out that the original 320GB HDD
was ok. So instead, I reset-up my laptop with the Seagate 500GB ST950032 5AS, fresh installation (not factory restore). It's
been months now and I've never had a single freezing problem nor the problem with the hotkeys not responding.
The nVidia SATA Controller driver version is 10.3.0.42, same as the snapshot posted by alexsirota on the 27th this month.

The following are the apps and driver versions I installed (all downloaded from Dell). The order of installation also goes
as the list below:

BIOS version            A07
Notebook System Software     R214475 A02
Chipset                                        R202284 A00
Video Adapter                             R215056 A05
Network Interface Card             R202279 A00
Dell Quickset                              R200495 A05
IDT 92HD73C1 Audio               R214419 A14
Wireless N Mini-Card               R198377 A01-1

Input Device Drivers:
- Touchpad                              R203482 A04
- Webcam                                R213648 A06
- ITE IT8512 CIR Receiver    R196531 A07
- Ricoh card Reader              R188094 A01

Wireless 370 Bluetooth Mini-card Driver             R204794 A01
Wireless 370 Bluetooth Mini-card Application    R189325 A06

TSST TS-D633A 9.5mm Slotload SATA DVDRW Firmware        Version DW20, A08

Good luck!:emotion-1:

7 Posts

December 30th, 2009 18:00

I am currently using a sata driver the came with Windows 7 instead of Nvidia and it haven't freeze in two days now. It used to freeze a few times a day.

What I like about Dell is you buy a laptop and it came with issues. If you want to resolve the issue, just spend 6 hrs with tech support and they won't be able to help you. If you pay them $89 and if you're lucky, they might be able to resolve it. If you want to return your laptop within the 21 days, forget it.

May 29th, 2010 12:00

I had exactly the same thing happen and they replaced the computer after 5 months.  However,  DELL does not replace a defective computer with a new computer. They  give you a REFURBISHED computer and the warranty period will be transferred to the replacement computer and run ONLY for the balance of time remaining on the original warranty.  DELL does not disclose either of these facts and you only find out when you have a problem and contact them. 

This is a very real problem both with this particular model and with their Customer Service policies.  I will never buy a DELL again.

1 Message

June 30th, 2010 23:00

i had the same issues with my 1340. i did a fresh install of windows 7 ultimate 64-bit and the problems went away. i have been running 7 for 3 months with no problems. the other issue i had was my screen would not come on.it would work if i hooked a monitor up to it . the fix to that problem was to reseat the connections to the board 

4 Posts

October 12th, 2011 12:00

I need a help can you give me detail of your disk drive.

Actually at first i was having 9500m graphics with my notebook one month before motherboard get damaged.

Now i had purchased a  second hand motherboard with 9400m graphics but my HDD(ST9320423ASG) is giving lot of errors.

I guess this board is not compatible with my HDD so can you tell me what is yours is tit AS or ASG model.

thanks in advance

Akhilesh kumar

December 11th, 2011 01:00

Hi Everyone!

I'm not sure if this topic has been covered before, I tried doing a search and couldn't find anything on it so that's why I started my own thread. I recently just purchased a Dell Studio XPS 13 laptop and just got it a little over a week ago. From the first day I got it, it froze up on me while installing firefox. I didn't think much of it so I just powered down by pressing the power button. Then a few days after that while trying to install the lojack for the computer it froze up again. I powered down and then before it even loaded completely on start up it froze again so again i powerd down. This happened 6 times over and over again and there were times when trying to boot back up the screen would just stay black and not load up at all. I finally talked to a dell tech support guy and he had me restore my laptop to factory. It didn't freeze up again after that for a couple days and then it started to do it again. Has anyone else have this problem with this particular laptop? Any suggestions on what it is or what I can do? Or do you guys think I have a defective laptop and should just exchange for another one? Help!

i am going through the same experience with my new dell xps 15

---mista lawal

December 11th, 2011 01:00

i bought a new dell xps 15z my problem is that it freezes as soon as it has booted t his has happened several times

1 Message

August 13th, 2012 08:00

Hello there,

I bought this New Dell XPS 17 L702x  three weeks ago with all the hips and much ado. I was shocked to realize that the Laptop keep freezing at start up.  I turned it off and restart, it dose came up works for a while then froze. I have uninstalled  and reinstalled  all the necessary software and drivers - yet the freezing is still occurring.  Help pls !!! :emotion-6:

1 Message

June 6th, 2016 21:00

Well, this is nothing new...

Seven years later, 2016, I bought a brand new Dell laptop XPS 15 and it has locked up ever since I owned it. It freezes at random constantly, regardless of what I'm doing.

Dell has supposedly replaced the battery, heatsink, fan, and main logic board. I just received it back from the Resolution Center today. The computer was the same. I began to use it to write and within 30 minutes it locked up again!!!

This computer was $2200!!!

My shock is that Dell has not engineered a fix for this. I've read a good portion of this thread (several pages) and this is obviously a very, very serious problem with Dell computers.

CONCLUSION: Seven years later and it's still happening. No changes, ladies and gentlemen. None.

Dell needs to get serious about this.

I will never recommend a Dell computer to anyone ever. Never again.

No Events found!