Go to Solution

May 3rd, 2017 11:00

Help with Upgrading Dell Vostro 15 5568

Hi all,

Recently I bought a Dell Vostro 15 5568 laptop with this spec:

• 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-7200U Processor
  • 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 940MX 2GB GDDR5

The system is working like a dream, but I would still want to upgrade both the RAM [want to add 8gb extra] and also add a 1TB HDD. Here are my questions:

1. I went through the descriptions and found out that the 8GB RAM which is currently installed is a C17 2400 260 Pin DDR4 2400 MHZ SODIMM RAM, I was wondering if I can buy a RAM which is 2133 MHZ or should I find the exact match. I am from India and I don't see much options to buy the same kind of RAM which is already installed in amazon.in.

2. I am also planning to add a 1TB HDD to it as I feel the given 256GB SSD isn't enough for my daily need and I don't want to carry an external HDD everywhere I go. Is there any specific dimension HDD I should buy? Is there any kind of HDD which doesn't work with this Motherboard? Should I buy anything apart from HDD for it to work?

Could you guys recommend me which RAM/HDD I should go for it to work? 

Appreciate any help! Thanks in Advance. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2017 13:00

1 depends on the CPU installed - while 2133 is probably OK , if you have 2400 and are adding, you should use 2400.

2.  Check to see which type of SSD you have  - M.2 card or 2.5".  If it's an M.2 card, you should have an open 2.5" drive bay that can take a drive up to 7 mm in height.

If you currently have a 2.5" SSD, you'll need to replace it with the hard drive (and if you want the SSD alongside the hard drive, purchase an M.2 SATA (NOT NVme/PCIe) drive to install with it.  You can't have two 2.5" drives in the system at the same time.

If you replace the SSD with a hard drive, expect a severe performance drop - you will lose quite a bit of performance going from a SATA 6G SSD to a hard drive.

4 Posts

May 3rd, 2017 20:00

Thank you very much for the reply ejn63. I now have a better idea of the system. Really appreciate it.

And Yes, I have a M.2 2280 SSD card and there is an open slot for HDD. I wasn't sure about its size. Now I know its 2.5".

Thanks for your answer, I will purchase a 2.5" HDD and a 8GB 2400 Mhz RAM.

Could you also please answer my last question? Does it matter if the RAM has a different CL value ? The one which is installed is cl17. I see there are different cl versions, like, cl14, cl15, cl17. Does it have any impact on the performance if there are 2 RAM modules with same Mhz but different Cl values?

No Events found!