Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2009 12:00

Help with resolution on a dell latitude c840

oh - heres my problem - I have to SQUINT my eyes to see the very small text on the screen - the resoltion is set to 1600 x 1200 32 bit but if I change this to my sisters normal screen of 1024 x 768 then this ONLY reduces the size of the visable screen inside the laptop monitor itself.  I think this is a graphics driver problem - I am not very savvy on computers so whatever you tell me to do will need to be very point by point.

All my web pages I open do not fit (width wise) from side to side - they are too small - i have about a 2" border both sides of my screen (not black - it's still part of the webpage) but as mentioned changing the resolution DOES NOT HELP!

I have a NVIDA 4.2.5.8 disply adapter but it seems to be set for multiple monitors???  ( I only have the one laptop screen - I do not link this up to any other monitiors) and I can't find any graphics cards / vidoe drivers??

Please can you help - i have set all my fonts to large - my internet screen I bump up to 150% but then it's all fuzzy and I am seriously losing my eyesight. - Any help seriously appreciated.

2 Posts

December 6th, 2009 13:00

forgive all my typos I can't even see what I am typing - my text is about 4pt on the screen!

278 Posts

December 6th, 2009 15:00

I'm having the problem with my Studio 1555. My screen resolution is 1920 x 1080. If I select a different resolution the display shrinks to the middle of the screen. If I increase the test size it becomes fuzzy. I did not have this problem with my Dell Inspiron 1501 with a resolution of 1280 x 800.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 7th, 2009 05:00

The tradeoff for higher resolution is the pixel size - it becomes smaller.  Notebook LCDs are digital devices, designed to look best at their native resolution.  Anything lower, and the size shrinks to preserve the sharpness, or the display becomes fuzzier than it is when run at native resolution.  If your system is new (within 21 days) return it and order a replacement with a lower resolution screen.

278 Posts

December 12th, 2009 11:00

This is what I did with my Studio 15. In Internet Explorer and Fire Fox I Zoom it in. This works pefect, and no blury or fuzzy text.

January 15th, 2010 12:00

If I understand the original poster properly, he's trying to figure out the same issue that I am.

I have two C840's, both with the 1600x1200 screen designed to be read by teen-aged mice. One has been my workstation for years; I'm using it right now (but in a dock with a PCI video card and external monitor so I can't try anything "live".)

The other machine was a recent acquisition and I've just discovered it doesn't work the same.

Of course native resolution of course looks best. However when I switch to lower res on my older machine, the image scales up to the full screen size (providing the "fuzzy" effect). On the new machine, if I switch to a lower res, all it does is throw away pixels and show me a one-to-one mapped image with a black border (the "shrunken screen" effect). Sharp, but small. (If I may say so, this is an absolutely pointless mode... who thinks of this stuff?)

I've installed the latest driver on the problem machine and it didn't change a thing.

Thought I might short-circuit the process by peeking in here but so far, no magic bullet. I'll look around a bit more and then bull my way through it myself. I do recall at one time using a hacked video driver that gave me access to a control panel that is nowhere to be found in the standard Dell version; I may have to dig that up.

January 15th, 2010 14:00

When you set a lower video resolution (thus creating a smaller image on the screen) try hitting Fn+F7, i.e. hold down the Function key (lower left area of keyboard between Ctrl and the Windows key) and then while you're holding it, hit F7 (which also says "Font" in blue text).

On my C840's, this toggles between native resolution (giving you the small image for anything less than 1600x1200) and a lower-res image that scales up to fill the screen area.

Try 1280x1024... not a bad compromise between the size of stuff and the amount of stuff, if you know what I mean.

It's worth repeating that when an image is stretched like this on an LCD, it's going to be a little on the fuzzy side, but it's the fastest, easiest way to scale everything. All the other alternatives (changing DPI settings and/or font size in the display properties, zooming in browsers etc.) are only partial solutions, but still may be worth looking into.

(Oh and BTW, multiple monitors is the normal setting. If you plug an external monitor into the machine your desktop can be extended onto both monitors. It's cool...)

Best o' luck,

BCR

June 3rd, 2010 09:00

Boggy Creek Research, you are the man!

Fn+F7 solves the black bar problem exactly! What's more, I have no fuzziness at all. I always wondered what the 'Font' key was for.

Thanks for an excellent solution,

Phil

2 Posts

August 12th, 2010 11:00

Same problem here... with the added twist that I can't read the replys to this post!

I can see that there are 7 replys, but I can't read them. 

August 12th, 2010 11:00

Fn+F7 solves the black bar problem. Now we know what the 'Font' key was for.

2 Posts

August 12th, 2010 16:00

lol - I logged in with my Mac and could see all the responses!

F7 works great.

1 Message

March 31st, 2013 20:00

Excellent, this problem has been bugging me for over a month now and your answer was the solution.  Thank You

No Events found!