Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

October 22nd, 2008 19:00

High pitched squeeking sound

ever since i got this laptop (M1330) I have this high pitched sqeeking sound.  The exact same sound you have when your ears are ringing from listening to loud music. 

CPU is T9300 2.5GHZ, 3gb ram, 200GB 7200 RPM HD, etc.... 

this is driving me crazy, when it is quiet, like in a library or in class during lecture you can hear this noise.  Today a girl sitting in the cubical next to me asked me if i could turn down my laptop... that is how annoying it is....

PLEASE anyone can help??

3.4K Posts

October 22nd, 2008 23:00

Hello,

Try changing video resolutions to see if the sound changes.

I'm not suggesting that you must use your laptop at another screen resolution, it's just to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Or, is the sound the same if the charger is plugged in or not?

I don't know if the above will help at all, but I had to read this topic. I had the exact same problem before ... Well; before the divorce that is. It's gone now. :smileysurprised:

3 Posts

October 23rd, 2008 04:00

No i tried the video settings out of curiousity, but that doesn't help.  Sometimes it's not as loud, sometimes it is very noticeable.  Almost sounds as if something rattling in the laptop case. 

One odd thing is that the noise is when im not doing anything on the computer, or its idle.  Then when i open up a program it stops for a sec when the CPU usage goes up, and then when CPU settles down again the noise comes back.  

16 Posts

October 23rd, 2008 10:00

it may be from the cooler.

4.6K Posts

October 23rd, 2008 12:00

If nothing you try solves the problem, call tech support, and they might authorise sending a technician out to diagnose/fix the problem?

538 Posts

October 24th, 2008 16:00

Supposedly this is caused by the motherboard, but I think the processor has something to do with it when it goes into a low power state.
No Events found!