Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

10 Posts

August 29th, 2008 20:00

How can I unable VGA output without any monitor conected?

My laptop is Latitude D620.

When I pres Fn+F8 it first check for connected monitor and if it didn't find, it won't unable it. I want it to be enabled without checking because it can't detect my PC>TV video convertor.

Please help me how can I do that.

984 Posts

August 30th, 2008 03:00

It appears that you have a VGA to TV video signal converter box. Check whether your laptop can connect to an external monitor. If it can, then the converter box might be defective. The laptop should see a VGA to TV video signal converter box as if it was a monitor.

10 Posts

August 30th, 2008 16:00

My laptop can connect to an external monitor.

If I connect external monitor to the converter box, the laptop recognise it and enable the VGA output. In that case both, external monitor and TV have signal.

If there is no connected external monitor to the converter box, when I pres Fn+F8 I can't select anything.

If the converter box is connected without external monitor I can select: Laptop screen, Laptop+external monitor andonly external monitor. Whatever I select there is no change on the TV, only blue screen.

If the convertor box is not connected to the laptop, on the TV I see 7 vertical lines with different colors.

My video card is QUADRO NVS 110M and the driver is installed properly.

The PC>TV converter is from ebay > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=300245513475

I hope you undestand me now and can help me to enable my VGA>TV converter box without need to connect external monitor any time I want to use it.

Sorry for my bad english.

984 Posts

August 30th, 2008 17:00

I suspect that the problem is the result of the Latitude D620 looking for a Plug and Play monitor and not finding it unless an external monitor is connected to the converter box. It appears that the converter box on its own is not capable of simulating a PnP monitor.

I suggest you try to contact the manufacturer of the converter box for a solution.

Message Edited by Sofu on 08-31-2008 06:04 AM

984 Posts

August 31st, 2008 08:00

If you can find a VGA to VGA cable that is fully configured (all pins connected at each end) it would be worth trying.

10 Posts

August 31st, 2008 08:00

I can't find who is the manufacturer. The seller is a dumb, he told me to try to adjust the resolution.

10 Posts

September 2nd, 2008 08:00

This will not help me, the cable from the convertor box is fully configured (all pins connected at each end), I test it with digital multimeter.

10 Posts

September 2nd, 2008 17:00

Aren't these pins suppose to be linked? I test the cable of my PC, all pins are linked too. If I have to, I'll cut them? No 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10 are the pins that I have to cut? What about No4?

Or maybe the problem is not in the cable? It maybe is because the convertor box does not respond on pins 11, 12 or 15? I believe that my convertor box is another chinese junk, but was the onlyone that I succeed to find. That's why I want to enable the VGA output of my laptop without checking for connected external monitor.

984 Posts

September 2nd, 2008 17:00

Although you have found all pins connected the ground pins might be linked together. Therefore there might not be 15 separate wires in the cable. You can check whether ground pins are linked using the pin connection diagram at this link.

984 Posts

September 2nd, 2008 19:00

The ground pins are linked in a basic cable. A full specification Plug and Play cable has 15 separate insulated wires inside the cable. Each ground wire is separate from the others. Do not cut the pins on your existing cable. You need a full specification VGA to VGA Plug and Play cable to try. Of course there is no certainty that it will be the solution.

10 Posts

September 3rd, 2008 14:00

How can I find such cable? And how can I test it to be sure that it is a full specification Plug and Play cable?

984 Posts

September 3rd, 2008 20:00

The cable that I suggested you try is one that is specified to be VESA DDC compliant (all 15 pins connected) such as the Coaxial Shielded VGA male/male series at this link. Frankly I think there is only a small chance that such a cable would solve your problem, the reason being that I believe the problem occurs when using a cable supplied with the converter box. Therefore it is unlikely the designers have taken full account of the VESA DDC specification.

Probably it would be necessary to modify the converter box and it is not practical for me to help with this.

Message Edited by Sofu on 09-04-2008 09:20 AM
No Events found!