Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 1st, 2017 21:00

How do I change the two finger scrolling speed

Just received the XPS 13 9360 in the mail today. I am trying to figure out how to speed up the scrolling. I've been using a MacBook pro since 2011 and I am used to being able to scroll to the end of a page with one swipe. On this computer, I'll need wrist surgery after a month.

Everyone with other manufacturers seem to have ways of increasing the speed by opening up the software specific to the installed hardware, but Dell doesn't seem to have that. And the only scroll speed option that I can find in the mouse options is for a mouse, not a touchpad.

I really want this laptop to work. Please help me.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 3rd, 2017 09:00

Secondly - If the issue still occurred.....

Update the System Setup(BIOS). Please click on link below to safety install the latest BIOS version.

https://youtu.be/mWn9YfxtYBo

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Lastly,

Please click on link below, hopefully it will be a help to you.

Dell XPS Trackpad "Deadzone" FIX (XPS 13, XPS 15, Inspiron ...

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

:emotion-2:

First- I'd suggest you check for latest windows updates are installed on the system. Please type Settings onto [Cortana] search box, click on Update & Security, and then Check for Updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required. If there's a update, please don't wait later, click on 'Restart Now'  to installed. Repeat process until all windows updates are installed on system.

24 Posts

So I did all that yesterday, but I am still having issues. I have switched to using chrome because the scrolling is much better (scrolling is more important than smooth zooming)

The issue that I started having after that was the cursor getting stuck, and getting stuck in what appears to be a left click. And then when trying to scroll it zooms.

After banging my head against the wall, I came up with the idea to disable double tap and drag. My intuition is telling me that that is the culprit for the frozen mouse issue. Or even just the annoying zooming/app switching when trying to 2 finger scroll.

I am currently testing that theory. It seems to happen only in one app at a time. If it happens in chrome, I can alt-tab to a different application and the mouse becomes free until I switch back. Perhaps iet will freeze again, but it won't be as annoying.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

After you have updated the BIOS, I suggest you update the Chipset drivers individually or in correct (Installation) order. Please click on link below:

How to reinstall drivers in the correct order | Dell US

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Or.....

Run the 'Guide Me' option which automatically update drivers for you. Please watch Dell video below and follow instructions to run the Guide Me option.

24 Posts

February 3rd, 2017 10:00

Before the thread is closed, please allow me some time to go through all of this and check everything. Thanks for your help :)

24 Posts

February 3rd, 2017 17:00

I did this. But the date next to the BIos in my system info has a different date. it is dated at 1/18/2017 while the one on the website is 1/26/2017. I started to download it, but it is the same file.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 3rd, 2017 20:00

The only thing I saw in settings regarding scrolling speed was for a mouse.  You could try changing those settings to see if it makes a difference.  But when I scroll, the speed is determined by how fast I move across the touchpad.

24 Posts

February 3rd, 2017 20:00

I have done everything to the best of my ability. the youtube video didn't address any issue I am having, but I made the changes anyway (just in case). I actually didn't notice any difference in pointer speed when changing that setting. my external mouse probably will though.

I don't know. The issue I am facing at this point is that the touch pad will freeze occasionally. I am hoping maybe the problem is solved now. If not I will post a new thread because it is a different issue than the one I asked about. Thanks for your suggestions, hope they help :)

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 4th, 2017 06:00

Grandpa 2390 wrote: " my external mouse probably will though"

If I am reading you correctly, you have a external mouse (or wireless mouse) connected to computer? If yes, then that is what causing the freezing problem. You'll have to disable the touchpad while using the external mouse.

24 Posts

February 4th, 2017 07:00

@LSUFAN51 nah. I was just making a comment about the guys "fix". That I only believe it will affect external mice.

24 Posts

I am noticing now in edge that If I am trying to move slow, it will randomly jump at speeds I want it to move at normally... the opposite of what I want.

24 Posts

@saltgrass It's unfortunate isn't it. because our hands can't move fast enough for a dell laptop. I don't know how Apple does it. My MacBook Pro is the Early 2011 Model, and the trackpad is flawless... fooling with this has given me a great appreciation. I had to play around with the trackpad on my MBP (which still runs very well, just a bit outdated), and it has little things like. It runs like this in that the faster you flick the further and faster you go. but if your fingers reach the edge of the trackpad, then it will keep going until you ease back on the throttle or lift up. And that's how you can get to the bottom of a page without swiping 15 times or trying to break the sound barrier

If Apple would get their stuff together and offer the MacBook Pro at the usual price (without some dumb gimmick making it cost 300 dollars more....) with update hardware, then I might have just bought it.

No Events found!