Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

H

38 Posts

September 5th, 2004 02:00

How do I get sound out of the speakers when I use the microphone input as an audio line in?

I'm trying to install an XM PCR radio on my Inspiron 9100.  The instructions say to use mic in for the audio input.  I've done that but I can't figure out how to listen to it.  It appears that all the software does is perform control and monitoring functions (TimeTrax and the XMPCR software), leaving the audio signal to be handled by the computer and/or Windows.

I spent nearly an hour on the phone with Dell before getting disconnected then another hour on the phone with XM tech support with not help.  XM was absolutely no help; I was disconnected there also then they asked why I called them (the documentation listed their tech support number) then came back and said it would not work with a laptop.

Has anyone here had any success with the XM PCR on their Dell notebook?

(btw this isn't one of the really overpriced XM PCR's listed on eBay ... apparently it was one of the last available at retail prices)

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 5th, 2004 16:00

hvstacey,

I'm not familiar with your radio device but below are instructions for monitoring the mic input through the speakers. This solution may be unsatisfactory because the mic jack is mono only so you won't hear the radio in stereo (and you will need a stereo-to-mono adapter or you will only hear one of the channels), and the laptop's speakers might be less than hi fi. I wonder if you couldn't connect the radio directly to a set of amplified external computer speakers?

These instructions were originally posted in a different form by dilleyo and jk79:

1. Go to the Start menu and click on Run. Type in the word regedit and click OK to open the Registry.
2. At the top of the list, highlight My Computer.
3. Under the Edit menu, select Find.
4. Type in DisableMicFromPlayback and click find next.
5. Highlight DisableMicFromPlayback. Right click on it and select Modify.
6. Highlight 01 and change to 00. Click OK.
7. Exit the Registry and restart the computer.

Next, configure the system mixer:
1. Open Volume Control by right clicking on the speaker icon on the taskbar, or go to Start/Control Panel/ Sound & Audio Devices/Advanced (button).
2. Under the Options menu, select Properties.
3. Under show the following volume controls check the box next to Microphone. Click OK.
4. A mic control appears in the Volume Control. Make sure the mute box is unchecked and you will hear the mic input thru headphones. If you connect speakers check the mute box or feedback will occur when a live mic is connected.

Jim

38 Posts

September 6th, 2004 03:00

Jim,

That did the trick; thank you very much.

You're correct about the quality of the audio by using the microphone input as an audio input.  The purpose of this configuration is to record XM when I'm not able to listen.  The TimeTrax software product will control the radio and record programs based on schedule, artists, and other criteria.  For that to work, I have to have the audio signal in the computer.  This is the software that reportedly caused XM to pull the PCR from the market.  Now a $49.95 os selling in the $200 to $400 range on eBay.

I find it interesting (and aggravating) that Dell has eliminated the audio in port from the current generation of laptops.  I may have to haul out my Inspiron 7500, repair it and use it as the XM controller.

Again, thanks for the information; I knew there was a setting somewhere but couldn't remember where or what.

hvstacey

No Events found!