Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

22 Posts

May 30th, 2008 03:00

How important is Accidental Damage Protection?

I'm getting an XPS M1530.  It's gonna be used for college.  Its total cost including tax is around $1147 or close to it.  Unfortunately I have to get the CompleteCare thing along with accidental damage.  I would love to have this for 4 years to cover me through college, but it will cost $518.  This is like 45% of the laptop's price.

Would you say accidental damage is worth it?

2.7K Posts

May 30th, 2008 07:00

Hi

Let me put it this way if you are by the pool a your dog knocks your

computer in the pool it is gone for ever,

but if you have the Accidental Damage Protection then it can be replaced .

Is it worth it to you that way ?

A accident can happen any time any where !

Good Luck

26 Posts

May 30th, 2008 09:00

Yeah but at half the price of the computer in the first place...  if your dog doesn't knock your computer into the pool then you still end up paying for half a computer anyway.  And four years from now, what's going to be the value of your $1000 laptop?  Maybe $200?  So if you need a replacement you're going to pay them $500 for a $200 machine...

So you have to weigh for yourself whether or not it's worth it... 

3.6K Posts

May 30th, 2008 11:00

O.K. have you ever been drinking a cup of coffee around your laptop....? And accidentally spilled it on the laptop?...

Either way as posted above,the complete care warranty will be worth it in the long run.

It might even be a year or two down the road if an accident happens and like most people,cursing scratching there head,wishing they had purchased the warranty.

50 Posts

May 31st, 2008 08:00

@cebalrai wrote:

Yeah but at half the price of the computer in the first place...  if your dog doesn't knock your computer into the pool then you still end up paying for half a computer anyway.  And four years from now, what's going to be the value of your $1000 laptop?  Maybe $200?  So if you need a replacement you're going to pay them $500 for a $200 machine...

So you have to weigh for yourself whether or not it's worth it... 

Accidental damage protection is like any other insurance; the insurance company (Dell) is betting that you will not make a claim and you are betting that you will make a claim. What if instead of your four years, something happens in six months?

To me just the mobile nature of a laptop exposes it to damage. The $500.00 price is misleading as approximately $380.00 is for an extended warranty (4 years In home service Parts & Labor) and $119.00 is for the Accidental Damage protection. Using your logic, I then pay $119.00 for a $200.00 computer an $81.00 win.

549 Posts

May 31st, 2008 16:00

4 years of college...
  • Carting laptop to/from class
  • Dormitory life with mutiple roommates/guests
  • Roughhousing with drunk roommates
  • 4 years of eating/drinking around computer when tired
  • 3 summers of being @home

How many chances within those 4 years you could have an "accident" - as well as chance it could get stolen? My friend, comming off the commuter rail going into Boston got nudged and his laptop slipped/hit the pavement. Needed a new screen.

By the 4th year, the M1530 might have already been EOL and had a replacement like the M1540/50/60, ect. If so, they most likely will replace it with a newer model. It's not like when paying insurance for 4 years on a cell phone, they wanted to replace it with the same phone (after a $50 deduction) you could get online for $30...

I'm sure since it's "accidental," some go out of their way and have an "accident" in the 4th year...

But, since you're going to college, did you try and see if you can go through Dell's EPP?

With a 4 yr warranty, you would get up to 12% off that computer (8% from $800 - $1600, 12% for over $1600)

When I upgraded from a 3-> 4 year, it was $80 - 12% = $70.40 - then I got a $70 gift card;)

Also, if you can get it though EPP, you still get Photoshop Element and Premiere Elements for free.

If you choose the 15" Mobile Entertainment center (to get the full $599 off), upgrade from 3 -> 4 year, the total comes to $1579 (price before discount)...$31 dollars more, it goes from 8% -> 12% off.

And the computer is:

• Tuxedo Black
  • Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB, 3MB Cache)
  • Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium Edition SP1
  • High Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LCD(1440x900) & 2MP Camera
  • 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
  • Size: 320GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
  • Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)
  • 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
  • Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card
  • Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0+Enhanced Data Rate)
  • 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
  • Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition
  • Finger Print Reader XPS M1530
  • McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 24-months
  • No Microsoft Office
  • Adobe Photoshop + Premiere Elements
  • Get $70 Gift Card with 4 Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home Service
  • Add Accidental Damage and LoJack Theft Protection to 4Yr Warr.
  • DataSafe Online Backup 20GB for 1 year

With the 8% off ($126.32), comes to $1452 before tax. If you upgrade the processor to a T9300 ($150), the total system cost is $1704 - 12% ($204.48), giving you a total of $1499.52 before tax.

This is assuming you are in the USA:(
Message Edited by DeathRider on 05-31-2008 01:08 PM

13 Posts

June 1st, 2008 01:00

All of these protection options are just a way for these companies to make more money.  For the most part they are completely unnecessary.  Like you said, why pay for another "half" of a laptop when chances are you won't need it.  And filing a claim is a hassle, and they will fight you tooth and nail to replace your system.  You won't need that protection in 4 years.  The laptop will have no value in 4 years.  Here's a good rule to follow and one I use.  Buy the one year warranty and the 1 year protection plan.  That's all you need.  If it makes you feel better you can go for 2 years.  You just have to be careful around your computer.  It's an expensive and intricate piece of machinery, and shouldn't be put in risky situations anyway.  And remember, pay only what you feel comfortable in paying.  If you want to spend $500 on a protection plan, then by all means do, but it is not necessary.  Hope I've been some help. 

549 Posts

June 1st, 2008 02:00

@smh6986 wrote:
You won't need that protection in 4 years. The laptop will have no value in 4 years.

That's just speculation as well. I have sold my i3500 to a friend for $300 after I purchased my i8200. I sold my i8200 for $450 a year or so after purchasing my M60. I sold my M60 for about $450...

Here's a good rule to follow and one I use. Buy the one year warranty and the 1 year protection plan. That's all you need. If it makes you feel better you can go for 2 years. You just have to be careful around your computer. It's an expensive and intricate piece of machinery, and shouldn't be put in risky situations anyway.

Sorry, I think college itself can be considered a risky situation. At least much more than work...

And remember, pay only what you feel comfortable in paying. If you want to spend $500 on a protection plan, then by all means do, but it is not necessary. Hope I've been some help.

Until Zell Dincht lists which components he configured the laptop with, the one I listed in my last post was $1379 plus tax if he qualifies (in the USA) ands it included 3 years onsite + 3 years of complete care + 3 years of LoJack...that sure isn't $500 more than what his configured system cost...even the 4 year, especially since it would cost only a few dollars more if you consider the $70 gift card you get back.

Considering the video is integrated on the board, if that goes, the whole board needs replacement (my last 2 laptops had discrete cards). That part alone costs more than

I can only guess Zell Dincht isn't in the USA with a German? username, but I think my advice still would apply to people that are in the USA and going to college.
No Events found!