Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

AU

October 19th, 2016 12:00

How to best purchase RAM upgrade?

It seems like nobody does this anymore. First I went to the Dell support website, entered my service tag and went to Parts and accessories. That all made sense and I thought this would be a simple 10 minute process to get the correct chips my laptop needed. There are so many different memory chips available, plus they seem to be changing all the time and not being a computer expert by any means, I was happy to see "Memory" listed as a category filter for my service tag search. Unfortunately all the joy left when it return three solid state drives and nothing to do with any memory chips. Can someone please tell me WHY would Dell not list them anywhere (spent another half hour looking) in Parts and accessories for your service tag???  How can we be sure they are the correct chips? I've joined and login and can search but under RAM memory there are too many different while very similar chips listed that may or may not fit the description under my service tag.

Next I tried a chat session thinking I could get someone to verify before purchase. It said "You are now being connected to an agent..." but a half hour went by and no agent typed one word. After an hour I started asking if they were having lunch and eventually someone came on. I had already moved on and started staining my back deck. Forget about Dell support, and the laptop will stay as it is - a new Inspiron 5559  that is slower than my 9 year old desktop. This used to work so easy in the past.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 19th, 2016 15:00

It'll take all of 2 minutes - go to www.crucial.com and search by model number.  You'll get guaranteed to work memory and the price will be hard to beat.

If the reason for the memory upgrade is speed, you won't see much improvement in that - there are multiple possible causes:

1. McAfee Antivirus.  If that's installed, getting rid of it will speed things up.

2.  If the system has a conventional hard drive, replace it with a solid state drive.

3.  Run a full diagnostic (F12 at powerup) on the system to check for hardware faults.

October 26th, 2016 09:00

Thanks, way easier than dealing with Dell. How did they go so wrong in their support.

No Events found!