Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

59 Posts

June 23rd, 2008 18:00

How to connect a dell vostro 1500 laptop to rca on tv

I need to go from Svideo in the back of the laptop to RCA on the tv.

I have a cable that looks like a Y now.  the two tops: one is video only and one is Svideo.  The other side is SVideo.  This plugs into the back of the computer's svideo card.  When plugging in the yellow rca plug into the TV I do not get anything.

I have been on the phone with dell for 4 hours thinking it was the s video card but when using this same cable and going from Svideo to Svideo on another tv, it works fine so we know the cable and the Svideo is working but i cannot get it to work for RCA at all.

If you click on the fn and f8 keys it tells you no external display is attached. which means it cannot see the tv

Any suggestions?

robin

984 Posts

June 23rd, 2008 20:00

Your adaptor cable probably has unsuitable wiring for a Dell computer in respect of composite video output. How many pins are present inside the S-video plug that attaches to the computer? If it has only the basic four pins then it is certainly not suitable for your Vostro 1500 as far as composite video output is concerned.
Message Edited by Sofu on 06-24-2008 09:47 AM

984 Posts

June 23rd, 2008 21:00

I assume there is no user switch on your S-video TV-out adapter cable to change from S-video output to composite video output. If this assumption is correct, then for sure the Vostro 1500 will be capable of delivering only S-video output, when it can detect a TV.

If your S-video TV-out adapter cable does not have a user switch, then it must be using a crude method to derive composite video from S-video. This crude circuitry is probably blocking the Vostro 1500 from detecting the TV when the composite video RCA plug is connected.

Are you able to get the adapter cable to deliver composite video from any of the Dell computers that you have access to? 

59 Posts

it has the 7 pins on the computer- 7 pins on the cable

but it doesn't work because it is not seeing the tv.

I have a dell desktop E521 with a tv tuner card in it and with this cable it sees it just fine.

robin

59 Posts

oh also i have plugged the Svideo from the laptop into a tv that has Svideo with this same cable and that works with no problem.  It just will not work rca.

robin

59 Posts

June 23rd, 2008 22:00

there is no switch on this cable it is just a cable

"Are you able to get the adapter cable to deliver composite video from any of the Dell computers that you have access to?"

Yes, as stated above it works with the dell desktop E521 running vista sp1 as RCA with no problems.  It will not work with the laptop running vista sp1

What is a user switch and?

also I am asking what else I can buy to make this work with RCA.

robin

984 Posts

June 24th, 2008 03:00

Your adapter cable is working with the Dimension E512 because the E512 delivers only an S-video output and the adapter is converting the S-video signal to a low-grade composite video signal. On the other hand the Vostro 1500 is capable of being configured by means of an appropriate adapter to deliver a high quality composite video signal. The default output signal from the Vostro is S-video.

To solve your problem I recommend you obtain from Dell an S-video to composite video adapter cable for the Vostro 1500. You will need to contact Dell service support (Spare Parts) for this adapter.

59 Posts

June 24th, 2008 12:00

John I bouight the  s video/tv compnt spdif cable   part number 310-9359 which dell told me would work.  Unfortuntetly it doesn't. and called dell to ask for a refund.  I hooked it with rca cables but it would not work.

These cables are gold tipped and a much better grade but again nothing happened.

can you take a look at this and see if this is what i would need?

http://www.svideo.com/7pin3rca.html

also i want to get a larger S video cable for those tvs that do have S Video

I give seminars and that is what i need this laptop for.  I either hook up into their VGA projectors or TVS.  Some have Svideo and some have RCA so i want both options

also can you take a look at this? for Svideo and tell me this is correct too please

http://www.svideo.com/7pin4pincable.html

If not I will call dell later today, do you happen to have the telephone number for  dell spare parts.  Maybe someone intelligent there will be able to figure this out for me and send me the correct thing.

thanks

robin

984 Posts

June 24th, 2008 16:00

Try one of the numbers at this link.

You have definitely been supplied by Dell with the wrong adapter. You need an adapter for composite TV-out not component TV-out.

59 Posts

June 24th, 2008 17:00

I called Dell and they told me they do not have this part at all, in fact they transferred me to another dept and they do not have it either

They looked at the website i posted to you and they claim this should work.

Do you think it will work?

robin

984 Posts

June 24th, 2008 17:00

There is not enough technical detail on the adapter at the link for me to be sure it will work on the Vostro 1500. Can you ask the supplier for an assurance that it will work on the Vostro 1500? If you have such an assurance you can at least return it if it doesn't work.

I bought a Dell branded composite TV-out Adapter cable second hand (manufacturer's part number DP/N 02415R). I had to modify the linking inside the S-video plug to get it to work with my Inspiron 1520.

59 Posts

June 24th, 2008 19:00

what did you do to modify it? just in case i run into a problem.

Where i saw it- they said i could return it if it doesn't work

robin

984 Posts

June 24th, 2008 19:00

I had already bought from Dell a component TV-out adapter that worked. So I was able to determine the link positions for component TV-out by measurement at the plug pins. From there I found by a web search what the link positions would be for composite TV-out. I had to drill thru the side of the plug to access the pins to disconnect the wrong link and solder the correct one.

I am amazed that Dell won't supply you. The Owner's Manual for the Vostro 1500 says that such adapters are available from Dell. I had to pressure Dell to get my component TV-out adapter. I too was initially told they weren't available.:smileymad:

59 Posts

June 24th, 2008 22:00

well i purchased it from video online store and i will let you know if it works.

I can get a refund if it doesn't.

Most of the tv's that i use have s video but a few do not, that is why i wanted the rca cable

I am amazed too because i found something for $1.00 on ebay that is made by dell and i figured i would buy that and try it, with tax and shipping it cost me $6.00.  the worst is that doesn't work either.

I should get all of them by next week and i will post results.

Thank you for all your help it is much appreciated.

robin

984 Posts

June 24th, 2008 23:00

Robin. Glad to continue to help. Your problem should never have become such a mission. Dell should make a compatibility table for various TV-out adapters available online and have stock of adapters. A very bad look for a supplier of basically well-supported products.

59 Posts

June 25th, 2008 12:00

I totally agree.  I am real disappointed in Dell in this regard.  If you build a computer you should have all the accessories needed for that computer to run.  If you are going to put a tv tuner in you should be able to sell t accessories for it for Svideo as well as RCA.

robin

No Events found!