Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

August 5th, 2009 00:00

How to connect an e-sata H.D.D. to an Inspiron 6000

This is my first post to this new forum format it looks better than the old Dell Talk forum. Anyway, I hve an Inspiron 6000 running winXP pro and was thinking abt getting an external H.D.D. to back things up on. I was on the TigerDirect web site and saw several models w/the Fantom brand. The ones in particular are the models  GF1000EU & GD1000EU, both of which are 1TB in size and can use either USB 2.0 or esata. I read that  the esata has a higher data transfer rate than the USB 2.0. What kind of PC card or adapter do I need to connect it to the 6000? And what brands and model #'s should I be looking at? Lastly, these H.D.D.'s don't hve a cooling fan in them but from some of the feedback I saw said that they run pretty cool. Is this something to be concerned abt?

Tnx in advance for any help and/or suggestions the group can give me.

James_S

170 Posts

August 5th, 2009 01:00

Hi James_S,

Welcome back!

Not sure how to make the connection on a laptop. Might be able to change one of your USB ports to a eSATA/USB port (that's whats on my Dell laptop).

My external HD case came with a SATA to eSATA cable. Plugged in the SATA end into the desk top MB and the eSATA end in a back plate. 

It works fine with a few improvements. It's fast as the MB thinks it's internal.

I had to switch from IDE to SATA/AHCI in the BIOS so it would be hot swap capable (you can do this without re-installing the OS, I can give the link if you need it), if your going to run it all the time it will work just fine in IDE. Then I downloaded the HotSwap program so it could be safely removed. 

I've ran mine for several days at a time and it never got hot, was using it for Win7 RC. Usually use it for backups, so an hour then remove it.

There are external cases with fans, search NewEgg or similar sites, if you plan on letting it run all the time.  

Good luck,

Dave

171 Posts

August 5th, 2009 01:00

I use external Hard Drives on a dailly basis. I have never had a problem with one over-heating.

You could probably get by with just a usb 2.0 connection. It is fast enough for most needs. I have a couple of drives that have esata, or usb 2.0. I have not needed the addition boost of speed from esata. If you want to use your inspiron 6000 with esata, you will need a pcmcia to esata adapter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Port-eSATA-E-SATA-Serial-ATA-II-Laptop-PCMCIA-Card_W0QQitemZ310147634542QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item48363d556e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

No Events found!