Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 2nd, 2012 09:00

How to disable automatic brightness adjustments on Dell Inspiron

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron with an i3 processor and Intel HD Graphics chip. It has a 15.6" screen and its model number is N5050. My problem is that the computer automatically adjusts the screen brightness based on what images are being displayed on the screen. (This happens only when the laptop is running on battery, when it's plugged in there's no problem) For instance when I open up a word document the screen becomes very bright because of the white background it is displaying but when the screen displays a darker image like a webpage with a black background the screen brightness noticeably dims. At first I just assumed this was some graphics or power saving setting. I checked both the Intel Hd Settings menu and the power savings menu but I couldn't find any options that corresponded to this description. Is there some well hidden setting causing this, is my laptop screen deffective, or is this just the way the laptop is? I need to know. It's driving me nuts.

1 Message

October 13th, 2012 16:00

I ran into the same problem and figured out what it was.  Signed up to post the solution since I know how frustrating it is when you Google for something and find nothing but people asking the same (unanswered) question.

Right-click on the desktop, select "Graphics Properties..."

Choose "Advanced Mode" and click OK

Click "Power"

Pull down the "Power Source" drop down and switch it to "On battery"

Uncheck "Display Power Saving Technology"

Click "OK"

No more irritating display flickering, adaptive brightness or whatever you want to call it.  IMHO, it's an annoying feature that should be disabled by default.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 2nd, 2012 10:00

screentrouble45,

Try reading this article...

Ambient Sensor/Backlit Keyboard Control

In the article by Floater1, hitting the Windows key and the R keys at the same time, then typing

services.msc

Hit enter. Look for Adaptive Brightness. It's probably on Automatic. Try changing it to manual or disabled and it should no longer change.

Rick

July 2nd, 2012 12:00

I found this option and disabled it but it has not changed anything. I'm not sure if this option applies in my situation. From the description of the service I read the service changes the screen brightness based on the actual amount of physical light in the room. In my case it changes the level of brightness based on what images the computer is displaying. The thread you linked talks about keyboard back light not screen back light. Thanks for the effort though.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 2nd, 2012 12:00

screentrouble45,

Disabling the services and then if you use the brightness buttons on the keyboard, it's supposed to cancell out the settings, so it should no longer work.

Rick

1 Message

April 16th, 2013 21:00

If I could promote this in the Google search results I would.  Thanks for the fix.

July 10th, 2013 11:00

Hi I have tried that; and disabled on services.msc and also on advanced power settings on windows. yet the issue still persists. Any other suggestions?

4 Posts

July 12th, 2013 00:00

Is there a working solution for this? I've tried everything suggested here and everywhere else and the screen still dims when there's a darker image being displayed and lights up when there's a bright/white image.

The only thing that's worked for me is disabling the display drivers for the intel 3000 graphics which causes its own issues.

1 Message

November 4th, 2013 06:00

Hi I'm facing the same issue on my DELL laptop, for me the "Dell System Manager" was the way to fix it.

Go to "Start" => "All Programs" => "Dell System Manager" and start the application called "System and Devices Manager".

Inside that application there is a Check-Box called "Enable Ambient Light Sensor", un-check it and the screen will stop dimming out.

I hope this helps :)

Regards,
M. Abuyasin

April 7th, 2014 20:00

For who disabled adaptive brightness but it still sucks, download this driver version 

I rescued my self with this

May 26th, 2014 13:00

Thanks Powercntrl.

Your suggestion was the only one that worked (tested several).

Really annoying feature that never should be implemented by Dell.

1 Message

February 21st, 2015 03:00

1 Message

April 26th, 2015 20:00

This is exactly what I needed to change on my Dell laptops. I got tired of having the display dim and brighten constantly. Thank you!

1 Message

December 3rd, 2015 21:00

Perfect!! Thank you for the tip, it's exactly what I was looking for.

The dimming and brightening was driving me nuts and I just got this laptop.

10 Posts

January 3rd, 2016 16:00

One quick way to change the automatic changes on Windows 10 is to press the Windows key and then type "brightness" and choose "Turn auto brightness on or off."  Selecting that will lead to this menu: 

1 Message

April 25th, 2016 20:00

THANK YOU! This is the only one that worked for me out of all others i tried.. thanks again. that was really annoying me

No Events found!